Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the Rivco arm rests on the motorcycle today. Quite an install; although the longest time was taken trying to get the Ultimate Passenger back rest attached - hard to do because of the Rivco arm rests. I had to go get longer bolts. The 6m pan heads were not long enough and I had to go with 6m "bolts"... to get 1/4" more ... and that was testy... but any longer and I would have had to cut them off.

I found that drilling and attaching the top fastener on the arm rest and then marking for the side location was much easier than trying to mark both locations at the same time.

On the Ultimate seat.... I had to have my wife give me a push to get the motorcycle off the stand. I just could not get any traction... my feet did not have enough ground contact. I was ok once the motorcycle was on the ground... still have somewhat less maneuver ability to use my feet - but it is minimal. I think as I learn how to get along with the seat - things will calm down.

I have an Ultimate seat on my 1600 Road Star.... and I absolutely love it so I am going to put up with the hassle that comes with this new one because on long trips this seat will be worth every dime!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Sweet seat. Those armrests look great; clean and compact. I really, really like the height of the driver's seat lower back support. With the added backrest it must give you continuous contact from your tail bone to your shoulder blades.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sweet seat. Those armrests look great; clean and compact. I really, really like the height of the driver's seat lower back support. With the added backrest it must give you continuous contact from your tail bone to your shoulder blades.
LOL...........Shoulder blades? You think the man is 4' tall or something?
It looks to be about the same height as the Utopia. And even with my wife ( 5' 4" ) sitting in the rider seat it goes to about the middle of her back.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am curious, how do the armrest look when folding them up? Do they "Rub" the backrest much? Do you see a potential for damaging the seat over time?
And thanks for the heads up, my seat gets here tomorrow and I know now I need longer screws.

And another big question, I know there is going to be a gap between the backrest and trunk lid because of the rivco armrest. How does it look, can you get a picture of it?

And another question. How far past the trunk lid bottom do the mounting plates extend past it? In the install instruction they state to "line up the bottom of the mounting plate with the bottom of the trunk lid"
Well that looks impossible as the plate is longer by about 1/2" or so when you center the 3/4" hole like they say to do.
Any other problems you came across that I can expect?

Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am curious, how do the armrest look when folding them up? Do they "Rub" the backrest much? Do you see a potential for damaging the seat over time?
And thanks for the heads up, my seat gets here tomorrow and I know now I need longer screws.

And another big question, I know there is going to be a gap between the backrest and trunk lid because of the rivco armrest. How does it look, can you get a picture of it?

And another question. How far past the trunk lid bottom do the mounting plates extend past it? In the install instruction they state to "line up the bottom of the mounting plate with the bottom of the trunk lid"
Well that looks impossible as the plate is longer by about 1/2" or so when you center the 3/4" hole like they say to do.
Any other problems you came across that I can expect?

Thanks!
I do not see any rubbing that might be an issue... any damage will come because someone would put their weight on the arm rest while getting up or off - and break the plastic they are mounted to!

The only thing I could find just a tad longer, in stainless - that wouldn't need to be cut off - was 6m in a bolt... not s screw.

There is a small gap but I don't think it is very noticeable. I don't have time to get a pic up and I don't know that you would be able to tell from any pic I could get anyway. I will tell you that there is a black foam tubing that comes with the Rivco product that is advised for that very issue, although I have not used it but I might.

You are right, you can't line up the product with the bottom of the trunk lid because you have to pay attention to the seat hole. That is why you are best to line up the arm rest with the seat hole... eyeballing it for horizontal evenness, staying in the corner as instructed... and marking the upper hole, drilling then mounting the armrest - and then marking the location for the side hole. That worked best for me.. and made the most sense. Someone else may have a different point of view though.

Remember this as well, I noticed that while the side brace and armrest might seem a little far away from the black plastic wall while you are holding it for alignment to the seat mounting hole... it pushes to the black plastic easily.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL...........Shoulder blades? You think the man is 4' tall or something?
It looks to be about the same height as the Utopia. And even with my wife ( 5' 4" ) sitting in the rider seat it goes to about the middle of her back.

Ha! Yea, looks can be deceiving; that back rest comes to the lower to middle of my back. It is very comfortable.. although it can be hot in the summer time!

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Nice job, looks great. After using them for a while give us an update. Ride safe...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts