Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made it thru Irene w/o any damage! I have a GW 1999 1500 with Lehman conversion that I am learning to ride. I wasn't even familiar with a car's clutch before now and here I am learning to ride my bike! Biggest problem for me right now is stopping and going again at stop signs w/o stalling - will it ever get better? I guess I'm fortunate to learn on a trike tho-no bad habits to change! I was riding as a passenger with the Patriot Guard Riders and I became a member last January. I'm hoping to be able to take my road test by the end of September and there sure is a lot to learn! Any advice you can give to a 64 year old novice will be greatly appreciated.:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Glad you found us. Practice will bring about being comfortable and smooth shifts. Good luck and ride safe.. Glad you made it through Irene safely...

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
As my fellow Keystoner has alluded, Practice, Practice, & more practice. Might I also suggest taking a Motorcyle safety course? It is a different world form being Pilion to the one with the controls. Do a search around for simple driving tips when on a bike & I'm sure you will find lots of info.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. As was said before, practice and take the safety course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the welcome and advice. Unfortunately for me, there are no 3 wheel safety courses available where I live, only 2 wheel. I have however downloaded the MSF's 3WBRC Student Handbook 2010 that someone had placed online a while back and take what I can from it. Of course, if a class comes my way, I will certainly take it. I love riding my bike. Gail

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and the World of Winging. Like has been said before, practice,practice, practice.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Cool Bike! And riding for a worthy cause. Hang with us Gypsy, we have a couple of Trikers here who have been around the block once or twice.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum....Sweet Ride there Gypsy Gal!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello gypsygal, welcome to GWOF. congrats on getting the trike and good luck in obtaining you license

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Glad you got through the storm okay.
Congrats on the trike. Take your time and get used to it, if you can find an empty parking lot somewhere that's a great place to practice.
Glad you're with us.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats!

I know that GWRRA has trike-specific training at their regional rallys & wing-ding. They probably have written info available also. Plus they are well-known for down-home friendliness!

When I was a new rider, I read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough, and "More Proficient Motorcycling," but a lot of those books refer to characteristics that are unique to 2-wheel vehicles.

We plan to trike ours or trade-in for a trike in a few years.

Congrats & welcome again to this great site!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
welcome to the place, thats a rather 'patriotic' colour scheme; congrats and glad you made it through OK.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts