Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started riding this February. I am 57 years old, so getting a late start. Trying to catch up quickly. Bought a VTX1300 in Feb and put 2500 miles on it. Just traded it for a 2010 goldwing airbag matellic red. Quite different from the VTX. Handles much better but it kills my back and chest muscles after about 30 minutes. It seems everyone recommends a back rest. Going to ride to Colorado next year, any suggestions of do's and don'ts appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF bonanza. congrats on the purchase of your new wing. a drivers back rest is a must have for me

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from the Keystone State and congrats on your new Wing. Saw my first metallic red Wing on Sunday. What a beautiful color. Good choice. What seems to help folks that have a problem with the seating on a Wing is highway pegs and for some a backrest. A lot of riders opt for the Uthopia, but that requires cutting the seat to install. (not a big deal, but can cause moments of panic). There are other styles of backrests, that attach to the seat handles. The only problem with those it the bar that attaches to the rest can interfere with the co-riders legs. (if you ride solo, no problem). Do some searches on Wingstuff.com and other motorcycle parts websites and you will see lots of options. Good luck and enjoy your trip to Colorado.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Bonanza. Had a Markland backrest on the 1200, and a Drag Specialties on the 1500. Both had the bars to contend with, but my wife never complained about either one once she got used to not hitting them climbing aboard. I'd probably go with the Utop1a on my '09. Higway pegs/boards for sure. I'd prefer 4" arms vs. the 6" they came with, but I don't know that I'm going to change them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Response

Thanks for advise, ran out at lunch and bought pegs and a Markland backrest. You would think if you pay this much for a motorcycle you want not have to add thousands in after market stuff. Oh well, I guess that's part of the fun of it right? Just have to hide the reciepts from the wife!

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new GW. I know it would kill my back, not to have a backrest.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey welcome and congrats on the Fastest Wing (metallic red).:rolleyes:
I was given a short shopping list of must haves when we bought our Wing last August.
1. Belly pan to protect motor
2. Arm rests for Wife
3. Utopia backrest for me

I left with all 3 installed..............:D

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
welcome and enjoy.

careful about add-ons it's addictive.

Maybe we need a new sub forum for "Accessories Annonymous".

"Hello, my name is Tim and I can't stop buying stuff for my bike"

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Bonanza: Returned to riding in '06 with a VTX 1300C. Three years and 17,000 miles later I got the Wing. Handles much better for me also. Backrest and highway pegs a must. Another option is the handlebar risers with a little "pull-back " . Right now I have only the Utopia backrest and the Highway Boards. It's a necessary start. Do's: Do ride to Colorado. Don'ts : Don't forget to send us pictures.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Bonanza, where is your home port?

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
welcome and enjoy.

careful about add-ons it's addictive.

Maybe we need a new sub forum for "Accessories Annonymous".

"Hello, my name is Tim and I can't stop buying stuff for my bike"

:D:D:D:D

My name is Joe, I can't get the bike in the garage because of all the farkles!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
new

welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. Be careful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Belly Pan to protect the motor? Have not heard of this acc. Why is it needed? Is it for a more aggressive rider, or does it protect from rocks and such? How much?

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Belly Pan to protect the motor? Have not heard of this acc. Why is it needed? Is it for a more aggressive rider, or does it protect from rocks and such? How much?
Belly pan protects the underside of the Wing. Things like the oil filter and coolant overflow tank. Both can be damaged by rocks/debris thrown back by the front wheel. I have seen pics of both being damaged by other riders on another forum. I have a stanless steel vented one. Cost about $65.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I guess it's back to the Honda store at lunch to spend another $65! I am going to have to quit posting, it cost me at least $50 everytime I do!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts