Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, 1st time owner of a Goldwing. just bought a 2003 with only 50,000 miles. Wanted to learn more about the bike from others. Have some upgrades I would like to do. Looking to meet some great people and get some trips under my belt. I'm from the Cleveland Ohio area looking to make good friends and have good times

Troy M

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome Grandpa Troy, plenty of people with your vintage bike, me and my brother included.

First order of business, have you checked the frame for cracks, or verified that recall inspection or repair was done? Rare but known problem with that year bike.

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

As said above, make sure the frame and brake recalls have been done.

Reactions: Grandpa Troy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked at the frame and was unable to see anything. The dealership is getting me a full copy of all recalls to make sure the bike was done. From what I can tell, I'm the 3rd owner of the bike. New it was in North Carolina then came to Ohio. Only found 1 scratch on the Left Mirror nothing on the rest of the bike

·
Super Moderator
28,133 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from AZ.

You have indeed found a good place to fit your needs. We have a great bunch of folks here, lots of knowledge, when we are able to, we have Meet&Greets, and the best thing is a very respectful group.

Enjoy the new ride, and the site.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Effected models
GL1800 (Non-ABS):
1HFSC470*2A111803 thru 1HFSC470*2A113582
GL1800A (ABS):
1HFSC474*2A102394 thru 1HFSC474*2A102823
GL1800 (Non-ABS):
1HFSC470*3A200001 thru 1HFSC470*3A204860
GL1800A (ABS):
1HFSC474*3A200001 thru 1HFSC474*3A201126
(*) = Check digit
NOTE: Trikes and vehicles with sidecars
attached are excluded from this Safety Recall.
2002-2003 GL1800/A
Frame Weld
MTB 10277 (0309)

Before you begin this repair, check if the unit has
already had the repair performed.
If the unit has been repaired, you should find a
punch mark on the lower right hand corner of the
VIN plate (see IDENTIFICATION).
If the unit has not been repaired, determine if
the lower crossmember frame welds are cracked.

Hello from               Belding, MI.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I'm originally from Detroit and my Mom's side of the family was in Cleveland. My Godfather had a neighborhood grocery in the Polish section of town and we always stayed with one of Mom's Aunt & Uncle in Parma when visiting. Great memories.

I hope you make one of our meet-n-greets and we can ride some. People just set them up from time to time, nothing too organized, just a place to go and see if anyone is interested. Enjoy your ride!
2014 09 27 HFC 07 Both.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all. Great bunch of people. Just what I was looking for. Should say why my screen name is Grandpa Troy...... I'm going to be a grandfather in September. My first......Going to have a grandson Looking forward to meeting and riding soon..

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. You are going to love your new 2u Wing. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question for all..... Should I change the oil right away? and should I use Synthetic? Should I add a engine cleaner like Seafoam to my first tank of gas? I used Seafoam in my police vehicle every other month. is it safe for my bike?

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
I would change the oil and filter. Many folks use a synthetic oil, I use Amsoil and have smoother shifting. The correct amount of Seafoam will help clean the injectors and won't harm a thing.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. As Tank said oil change and seafoam will do no harm. I use synthetic but to each his own. We love pictures. Post some of your new to you ride. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any oil of appropriate viscosity will do, as long as it doesn't have friction modifiers. Even Wal*mart oil will be just fine. And 87 octane gas, all day long. I wouldn't spend the extra money on synthetic oil, but you do what makes you happy, 'cuz that's what it's about.

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
I also use synthetic and it lets me feel better about changing oil and filter at 8,000 miles. Then I'm not worried about changing oil on a long trip. I also am an AMSOIL advocate. It did make the shifting smoother. But I'll bet lots of good oil will do that. I run Seafoam in the tank about once a year. I also put some in the oil a little bit before changing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts