Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, almost new owner- may close the deal this Friday on a new 08 with airbag.
Questions- Will it mess up anything on th electric on the bike to remove the battery for three months? What else is there to do besides the battery and gas treatment?
Are there any downsides to buying a new 08 that's been sitting in a warehouse?

Any known downsides to having the airbag?
Thanks a Bunch!

·
Registered
55 Posts
1.Same here, with using a battery tender.
2. Downside.... Yes, too bad you couldn't have owned it for the last year. It's a super bike, and you are going to love it!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF redgoldwing1. i use an odssey pc680 battery no need to remove it just disconnect the battery. the manufacture says it will hold a charge for 2yrs

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use a battery tender on both my bikes and start them every so often in the winter. Linden

·
Registered
5 Posts
Battery tender. The only way to go. It's saved my battery for several years. And NOT a trickle charger type.. an actual maintainer that regulates and quits charging when the battery is at max.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Battery Tenders are worth the few bucks they cost by far. I have one on the ATV,one on the riding Lawn tractor,and one on the GW.Like "Jerry A" said not just a trickle charger,a tender cycles through 3 states: Charge,Float,maintain.With the Digital dash on my 85 LTD it only takes a few weeks to draw down a battery,the tender fixes this,no more low or dead battery,good sound advice.

-Robert-

·
Registered
42 Posts
I read on other blogs or in the GWRRA magazine that it wasn't good to start your bike & let it run for a little while during the winter. Any thoughts on this?

I like the sound of the motor but then again I just kick on my tunes and play "The Goldwing Song" and it helps eleviate the PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
redgoldwing1

Thanks for all the replies-

Are there any known downsides (no pun intended) to the airbags on Gold Wings???

Thanks for the "Welcome"...

Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
a child can't ride up front. :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
A battery tender is the way to go, you can get one at Wal-Mart for around $25.00, I have had one from there for about 7 years now and it still works perfect. Some have said, and I haven't had it happen to me, when they disconnected their battery the remote lost it's program. I have had mine disconnected and never had to reprogram the remote. When you disconnect the battery you will lose the radio pre-set and that type of stuff but nothing major.
The only drawback to an airbagger is that it is probably a little more difficult to change the air filter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oil/Battery practices

I also have an '08 GW. The first year I stored the battery in the kitchen w/ trickle charge. This year I just left the battery in and hooked up the trickle charge. I like this better because not only can I run it now and then, but I can more easily take it out on the rare warm occasion without too much hassle.

The benefit to starting the engine periodically over the four month long winter (if I'm lucky) is that the oil will keep circulating throughout the engine. In other words, if you wait until the spring to start it - she will have her oil resting on the bottom (pan) and she will start dry in spring, and that is never a good thing;)

As for the air bag, I kind of wish I bought mine with one. Why not? It is extra protection for a moment when you may need it. My initial thought was if I get into an accident, I'm in trouble with or without the airbag - but in reality, it just might come in handy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Battery tender all the way! they keep the battery from sulfiding ("google it" pretty interesting) which is why they go dead. idon't see any problem with starting the bike occasionally, make sure you open the garage door though!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Battery tender only they usually come with a quick disconnect you can leave on the bike for easy hook up next year! I have a Yuasa most bike dealers have them, do not trickle charge. look up "Sulfiding" on google it is pretty interesting, explains what is really happening inside the battery. why they loose charge and can not regain full charge if left to sit disconnected.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Like everyone else the battery tender is the only way to fly. I also bought an 08 in August of 09. The only downside is it now is a 2 year old bike. But if you bought it to ride.....who cares? The upside is it should have been discounted. As for the airbag issue.....some like em some don't. I don't think anyone can really say as only time will tell if it truly is a life saving option or just alot of hype. Downside is....enough people have to crash to find the real answer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bought the '08 in '08 and I love it. The only minor regret I have is, I should have bought it with the air bag...why the heck not? The only downside to the air bag is you can't place a leather pouch with a metal bracket on it...so what. You have the fairings to place a leather pouch if you need one (I have one). I attached it (leather pouch) with velcro and you can't tell by looking at it how it stays attached.

Snowhawk - I have read both sides about should one start their bike occassionally during winter months. I side with the thought that says if you don't, then the oil settles to the bottom of the engine and when you do eventually start the engine in the spring, it will start without a well lubricated engine. I try to start mine about once every two weeks just to keep her wet.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I also have been using a battery tender. I use to take my battery out and charge it once a month in the basement. The last 3 years or so I just put in stabilizer fill the tank 100% drive it home, plug in the tender, and park it for the winter.
I was told by a couple of mechanics its not good to start the bike in winter because it warms everything up including the exhaust. When you shut it down it cools down in the freezing weather and condensates. If you road it everyday it would burn out the moisture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hate to rub it in but I just ride mine all year round so it's not an issue.:D Big benefit to living in Northern NM where the weather is great all year round. Snow comes and melts off the roads usually in a couple of days, no longer than two to three weeks for the bigger ones and you're back on the road again. Where I'm at, I can drive 20 minutes one way to the ski hill and 20 minutes the other to go golfing, both are open. Tomorrow I'm golfing...and riding the wing to get there. I'm so spoiled.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Another WalMart battery maintainer here. It's made by Schumacher.They've been making battery chargers alot longer than the "battery tender" people. Running the engine absolutely a GOOD thing! Did the GWRRA so&so elaborate as to why this would be bad? When you do run it,make sure you bring it close to operating temp.This helps get the condensation out of the crankcase. Best of Luck to you. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I read on other blogs or in the GWRRA magazine that it wasn't good to start your bike & let it run for a little while during the winter. Any thoughts on this?

I like the sound of the motor but then again I just kick on my tunes and play "The Goldwing Song" and it helps eleviate the PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome).

When you start it and just let it run for alittle while, you build up condensation in the exhaust system that never gets blown out and can lead to premature rusting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts