Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a great GL1200 Aspencade for $1000 today here in Upstate SC I had to drive 3 hous to get it. It was well worth it. It has set outside a bit but is in great overall condition. It going to need to be tuned up and gas drained new fuel filter installed. I guess I'll save the timing belt for the last thing. It starts and runs but it sounds like it only hitting on 2. The guy that owned it hadn't ridden it for 5 years now. But 1 good thing he sent over to the Honda shop and $600 worth of work done to it last year and they put in a beautiful new Interstate Gel Performance Battery which I was quite pleased to see. Its going to take a while to work out the bugs but the guages all work. Not at sure about the air ride system. The CB is not workign as is the panasonic casette radio. The clock looks like it's working ok. There are tons of extra goldwing odds and ends he threw in with the bike. Really nice old fella. He really loved the bike I could tell. It has a gold plaque with his name on it inside the fairing on the right side. What is the best wat to drain the old fuel from the gas tank, by the eletric fuel pump into a container? I sure love the bike so far, man is it heavy though. I'm struggling to get it on the center stand right now. Great to chat with you guys, hope to see out on thr road enjoying our bikes. Oldsdroptop :cool:

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Hello from Northern Virginia! I also got my first Wing in November. Been hanging around here ever since.There are alot of 1200 and 1500 riders here with some miles behind them and some good advise to pass forward. Funny you should mention the center stand . It was my first challange. I'm still not graceful with it and I have to approach it with a degree of determined anger. It doesn't happen when your timid. I have an '08, so I'm not any help on the technical side of your bike. But, like yourself, I'm new to this monster. ~ Lee

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF oldsdroptop, if the tires or suspension are very low in air pressure it will be harder to get your wing on the centerstand. if i remember right the radio and cb have their fuses seperate form the other fuses , you'll have to tate the plastic pocket out the left side of the fairing to get to the fuses

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Congrats on your new (to you) Wing and welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania, the Keystone state. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome

Welcome and good luck with your 1200, the more you ride it the more you'll like it, enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
oldsdroptop,

Welcome from another Pa. guy. It sounds as if you got a sweet ride. You'll get used to managing the weight as well as getting the bike on it's center stand. Make sure you post some pics in the gallery when you get a chance. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yet another

... noob!!
I am on the edge...about to pull the trigger.
I have been just about to buy a wing. Then I pull back. I just think I am leary of giving up the performance of my ZX14. I love the twistys, dont care much for interstate, but love going places new and seeing new cool stuff.
One problem with the sport bike is it hard to stay overnight with it or take the wife any real distance. She aint good for anymore than 3 hours. I think she would do much better on the wing seat, but still, 8-10 hrs on bike may not be her thing.

I also would like to ask for advice and thoughts on buying a new Wing:

Where to go. (best shop OK KS MO TX, best deal)(we have a local shop that I woulldnt buy anything from they suck so bad.) Shawnee,OK, Bartlesville,OK, Iola, KS, I have heard good things about.

What to expect to pay. (no nav/airbag)

What to...you know...EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for the warm welcome guys.....

I was able to put some air in the back shocks (yes I found out the onboard compressor does in fact work) and after the fit of anger mentioned earlier I got it on the stand. I have used the onboard fuel pump to pull all the old gas from the fuel tank. I put half a can of Sea Foam to it and 2 gallons of fresh fuel and took it out and rode it like someone left the key stting in it at the Piggly Wiggly. That thing hauls butt I was amazed at the power ( I also have owned 1 of the 1 600R Ninja's produced in 1984) so I pretty much know fast when I feel it. I am having this nagging problem with it just cutting off at will right now. I am going to directly hook up to the fuel pump under the fake tank and see if its losing power to the pump. Then its on to the electronics gremblims. I guess a multimeter on the coils? not really sure when it comes to the spark part. It fires up awesome when it's cold though that part I do know. But I know when I stole this thing for this price it was going to have it's challenges, but it was loved by previous owner and it's loved by it's currecnt owner here is the caigslist page I got it from.

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/mcy/1548844712.html

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Hello and welcome hope you enjoy your Wing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I managed to wrestle out the carb assemblies. Man now that's what I call fun. They of course were full of rust I went ahead and ordered a set of carb kits to rebuild them after I clean them out with some carb cleaner. I was wondering if there is a standard setting for the air mixture screws
? I know most times there is a ballpark figure where these screws are close to set. thanx for the info guys and al the great support!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the carbs basck together tonight on the dining room table...

Howdy from snow ridden South Carolina....I had a quick blast in 71 Monte Carlo (built 327) just before the snow got serious. There's about 4 inches on the ground right now, which is absolutely unheard of here. I took the chance to blast out the passages on my carbs and blew everything clear with about 90 PSI from my trusty 2 cylinder air compressor. I then laid out some newspaper on the dining room take and carefully put everything back togther (I hope perfectly). They have been off before from what I can tell (there are 3 stripped screws in the top plastic lid that the air cleaner oval retainer bolts to plenum I think I'd call it. And 1 of the bottom bowl bolts was snapped off clean, but was not leaking. I drilled it out and stuck a machine screw in it and it tightened up good. So I tried to use the float neeedles and seats I got in my cheapie ebay kit and I was not happy with the amount of bending on the tangs on the floats to get 7.5MM on them. So I put the old ones back and just made very slight adjustments to the floats to get the 7.5MM I needed to get. I put in new main jets (108's) and new idle jets. That came in the kits. I'm trying to figure out these idle screws they look to me like thay are on the insides of the cabs where the tubes all hook up. but I didn't take the carbs off the plenum assembly to keep things much simplier. The main culprit was the rust from what I can tell. (this bike set for 5 years before I got it) it has serious miss and performance problems. I already changed the fuel and the spark plugs already. I'll put them back on tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. I found out a 4 prong plug to the transistor not was causing my bike to stall I cleaned it with contact cleaner and rode for about 20 mins without incident. So wish me luck. Thanx for the support guys. Oldsdroptop :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Welcome to the board oldsdroptop, hope you get all your technical stuff out of the way so you can enjoy your new ride soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got carbs back on she's running great now

Since I didnt have anything to do the other night when we got 6 inches of snow here I rebuilt the carbs on the wing. They run fantastic now and I know why people love these bikes so much I went ahead and changed the oil and filter today, Ive got the new fuel filter in now and the air cleaner i got off ebay is now installed. All I need now is a decent set of pipes I'm trying to figure out which way I'm going to go there. I would love to put a complete set of pipes front to back on it and just be done with it. But I'm not usre the price is in the budget. I got a steal on the bike for a grand either way. I have a few ideas for future work I'm going to do on it the main thing was getting it running decent after 5 years of setting. I love my wing though. The power is amazing and quite transparent till the thing is reading out 80MPH on the dash. I'll keep ya guys posted on the exhaust. Oldsdroptop :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts