Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First time for a couple of things. Never posted on a forum site before, only recently figured out how to turn on a computer without breaking it...and bought (finally) the wing I always wanted. A 2010, comfort (which comes standard this year and is I guess the last of the U.S. made bikes) in metallic black. Problem is, more snow expected tomorrow, and my bike is sitting in the dealership garage, ready for a delivery that nature won't let them make. :( Anyway, you guys and gals have an interesting forum, and I am going to be looking forward to picking your brains about the things I need to know! Got some cool trips planned already....Louisville, KY to see family, black hills in SD, blue ridge parkway (which should be more comfortable than last time on my Concours), and the upper peninsula. One question though. I got my owners and service manual, and they don't call for the first oil change until 4 grand, but I wanna do a thousand anyway. Am I crazy?

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF billand congrats on the purchase of your new wing. it wouldn't hurt to do your oil change early

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Bill, I'm your neighbor to the south west, congrats on your new Wing.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Hello Bill.....The worst that can happen if you change the oil too frequently is you wear out the drain bolt threads. When I bought my 1300VTX a few years back, the sales recommended that I bring the bike in after " 600 miles " for an oil change and their " check-up ". All for only a $200.00 +/-. I thought to myself, " that will be next Saturday! " I thanked them for their advise and left and never returned. P.S. I live 45 miles due east of Front Royal. If your going to hit Skyline Drive, give some advance notice here. That will be one of the first rides the wife and I will take when we find out if she can be a good passanger. Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Wing. I did my first oil change at 4k. I use Honda synthetic blend and will be changing it every 5k along with the filter. The Wing engines seem to be well built and don't require a whole lot when it comes to oil. Some folks change oil & filter every 3k, some every 7.5k according to Honda's recomendation. Pick what is comfortable for you. Your bike your choice. Ride safe, when the weather breaks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
This starts the never ending opinion poll.

Modern oils go alot further then the oil your grandpa used, even if he bought the better kinds and not re-refined or non-detergent. Oil filters have advanced also. With this, engines have become better also. Remember if a car went 100,000 miles if you were lucky. Computer controled ignition and fuel systems have played a huge part in alot of vehicles now going over 200,000 miles. The company I work for takes oil samples at each service on everything from pick-ups to Peterbuilt tractors. What they have found is that the non-synthetic oil they use in everything doesn't break down, and for years now have extended oil changes in company pick-ups like mine to 7,500 miles. In most cases, we tend to run over that by 500 to 1000 miles all the time. We now don't even come up for a new truck anymore till ours reaches 200,000 miles. By the way, we have Chevys, Fords, and Dodges in the pick-up line and not one engine failure in over 10 years.
So to sum this up, Yes you can go well over the old benchmark of 3,000 miles between changes using a name brand oil and filter.
The question is.........can you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bill, I am also new to Goldwings. Purchased a brand new 2008 Goldwing, also sitting in my garage. My dealer's mechanic recommended I change the oil, filter and final drive oil at 600 miles, then follow Honda's maintenance schedule at 4K, then every 8K. The 600 mile change recommendation seems to be reasonable to me and is relatively inexpensive because it is very easy to do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome jimdidier, from a fellow Illinoisian I'm about 60 miles to the west of you.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Welcome Bill concratulations on the new Wing,I know you will enjoy it.Sounds like you have some great trips planed hang in there Mr.Winter is just about done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I guess I feel like changing it at the first thousand, I just won't sleep at night if I don't. But I also realize that these engines are sooooo much better than they used to be. My 4 banger jeep has 103,000 on it now, and still doesn't use a drop. Figures that I went to the dealership a couple of days ago just to sit on it a while, and now we are getting more snow tonight and tomorrow. One thing I didn't realize when I bought a wing in january is that february just became the longest month of my life! I guess I can wait though, only a couple more weeks if I'm lucky. Bummer about the Honda Hoot not being around this year. Was in Deal's gap a couple of years ago on my Concours with the wifey and missed it by about a week. Next question is...is the wing ding worth it? Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, we were supposed to get 7 to 10, but only got about 4, and it's supposed to warm up later this week. Now only if I could get a little sprinkle......

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Chopin, I forgot to ask you....is skyline Dr. on the Blue Ridge? Last time we rode it, last year, which was the forst time for us, we went from Gatlinburg, TN, and rode to Roanoke, where we ran out of time. Spent too much time on Grandfather Mountain!...Anyway, if there is more interesting things to see near skyline dr., we are definately interested, cause this year we are going to start at the top, and go to Gatlinburg from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts