Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have owned Gold wings before, an 81 GL1100 to be exact. It was also the only motorcycle that I have had a wreck with. So, after that experience I switched over to cruisers... this was about 15 years ago. Before that I owned many Honda standards.

Well, I guess when motorcycle guys go through mid life crisis they want to get AWAY from the black and chrome scene... at least this one does

So, I placed an ad recently wanting to get a sport bike in trade for my sweet Honda VT750C cruiser. In an odd turn of events I went out on a rescue call the morning I placed that ad, and it was for a sport bike accident. Also had another call that same weekend. Then, last night I get an email about a sweet 87 GL1200 and since then I cannot get it out of my head.

As I do with all of my other many hobbies I turned to internet forums and found this one. So, here I am. If all goes well I will have my wing by weeks end and I will have TONS of questions.

Leroy

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Welcome to the site Leroy,

1st let me say that bring on the questions because there are a great bunch of people here & very informative.

2nd I noticed you mentioned the accident thing twice. As you and I know they can happen no matter what you ride. The only thing I know to do is the basic cover your own butt. Years ago when my kids were young I was in the same dilema, everytime I came close to buying either someone I knew were in an accident or I saw one. When last son moved out Wife & I started to ride.

3rd What's a midlife crisis to someone is another man's dream.;)

Good luck with your decision & by the way that is a beautiful state you live in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the welcome Fossil...

I have never let accidents bother me or keep me from riding. When I wrecked my wing I had a second bike, and as soon as I healed up (A few days...) I was back in the saddle.

I will say though, my riding style is to push a bike to it's reasonable and safe levels. In doing so, the risk does get higher and the risk you run on a bike that can handle the twisties going 50's and 60's is greater then on a touring bike. When I say risks, I mean the "shit happens" type of risks like deer, sand from a truck, car pulls out and didnt see the 250 guy on a goldwing, etc....

I am sure I will still want a sport bike some day when money provides the chance, but for now I am pretty excited about getting a wing!!

Ok... let me start with my first question... what is the best method/products for polishing fiberglass saddle bags and trunks? I will search it, but what the heck figured I would ask here to :)

Leroy

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Hope you get your new (to you) Wing. Ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF mcdonl, when you go look at that '87 wing be sure to check the plug between the stator and rectifier

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will need him to point that out. I am not very familiar with GW's and motorcycle electronics in general. What should I be looking for?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the ststor is on the left rear of the engine, it has the little chrome trim piece on it. follow the three yellow wires from it to where it plugs into the rectifier. take off the left side cover and you'll see the battery and find the plug just infront of it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should I be looking for it's existance? Should I be looking at the condition of the wire? Sorry about so many questions, I just do not know what I should be looking at this for.

Is this a common trouble spot?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts