Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1977 GL1000 a few days ago. Don't know anyone else with a GoldWing so I hope someone can answer.

A Honda GoldWing repair manual on CD I got with the bike says the 1977 bike came with spoked wheels, but mine has the riveted star wheels which it says came out in 1978 and aren't interchangable with the spoked wheels. Does anyone know if the star wheels were put on 1977 models?

How do I remove the seat? Seriously. Neither the owners manual or the repair manual mention how to remove the seat, and so far its not obvious.

Also, I think the carbs need synchronizing. Any suggestions for a good synchronizing kit?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
78 was the first year for comstars on a wing. If your 77 has a front comstar, then yours have been replaced with 78/79 forks. All 75-77 models came with spoke rims-6 bolt front (fat)rotors- different calipers/mount bolt spacing, along with the speedo cable being driven off the right side. 78 front comstar is made of steel (ugly) while the 79 is aluminium ala CBX style, a much better looking wheel. 78/79 used a 5 bolt rotor that was thinner-read non turnable, for less unsprung weight-different calipers-fork tube bottoms-speedo cable on left side. The 78/79 front rotor is the same as the 80-81 1100 less different part #s. both the 78/79 comstar rear wheel will work on a 75-77, using the same rotor-flange gear-brake caliper etc

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF mikeg, comstar wheels were put on wings starting with the '78's. a few guys put lester mags on the earlier wings

1 - 3 of 3 Posts