Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm new to the Goldwing, but I have a few other Hondas in the garage. I've been on the hunt for a CB900 or a good CB750 to start a custom build. While I was driving to work, I saw a 77 GL1000 that caught my eye. I then started to come up with some good ideas, most of which it seems others have also come up with. The GL1000 was stripped down, ran well, and was mostly what I was looking for... but it hadn't been registered or road worthy is 20 years. Had wire wheels, and dry rotted tires (and other minor electrical issues).

This caused me to start a new search, which turns out was easier than the CB search. Lots of cheap-ish goldwings.

I ended up driving 70 miles to check out (and buy) an 82 GL1100 that was all ready stripped of the fairing and luggage.

It was a long cold wobbly ride home. This guy I got it from was a self proclaimed mechanic, and it was dark. The tires were dry rotted (not as bad as the 77), and wires were twisted together. The fan wires fell apart on the way home, and I got up to the center line on the thermo.... and the tach quit working about half way home. It has some chatter at very low RPM, but if I slip the clutch a little and revi it up I can get past it. Only issue is going around turns slow it does it. Timing belt? clutch?

Here's a pic of it with my other Hondas (some in various states of build).

And here's what I do with my other Hondas.
feel free to visit www.twfwe.com

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Z, I was at the festival Saturday. I saw some of your group crossing an intersection, weaving through the foot traffic. If I had seen these photos earlier, I'd have come looking for you.

Welcome to the GWOF. Lots of good technical help here, but I have a feeling you're going to give more than you'll ask for.

Are you into group rides other than with the "Elvi". I and another GWOF member, Bevman, ride with GWRRA TX-M. If your interested, respond here or send me a pm.

Take care and enjoy the your new 'Wing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the invite! Honestly, I've not ridden the big bikes much. I do the stunt stuff and evade the police (I live in Pantego!) in town most of the time. I would love to do some group rides, but I've started to tear the bike down all ready. I did take it out today on a run around lake Arlington and to get a hair cut first, though. As soon as I'm done I would love to head out on a run with you guys!

Awesome that you saw us! We'll be at the Fort Worth Veterans parade, the Waxahachie Christmas parade on December 1st, the Arlington parade the same day... then the Texas Toy Run and a dozen others over the next few months. Grab one of us if you are at one of the events, ask for Chris.

Seems like there is a TON of info here. I'm sure I'll lean on you guys enough. I'm mechanically inclined, but I don't know the specifics on these machines... yet! Hopefully I can pitch in more than I burden.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello z50, welcome to GWOF. you have a gl1100 standard, honda never dressed the standard 1100 only the aspencade and interstate

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Greetings Texan, the GWOF is a great place.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Welcome Z50 from Oklahoma

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Howdy Z from the Piney Woods of East Texas. One of my wife's favorites; Elvis the Pelvis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcomes!

Dr... I'm new to this, all I know is what the guy told me. LOL He said that he got the bike in several boxes. He had the saddle bags and trunk for it, I just didn't want to pack it into my wife's Armada. The trunk had the different jig for around the rear seat. Then again, there are a couple different colors of stuff on this bike. He may have had parts from other bikes. in those boxes. There was a fairing in his shop, too, but it looked brown in the dark.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like you got some busy days ahead!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
welcome to GWOF from Maryland
Thanks! I lived in Annapolis for a little while (and Delaware for about 5 months), and in Northern VA for about 5 years after I got out of the Navy. I bet a ride around the bay and the eastern shore would be nice! I used to take my daughter for rides around the bay and over the bridge in my Jeep, we loved it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome. Sounds like you got some busy days ahead!
Thanks!

This time of year is busy, but it's a blast! You can only get away with blasting though town on a souped up Z50 doing wheelies if you're with 20 of your best friends dressed up as Elvis!

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from a fellow North Texan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm also new here. Welcome from S.E. Oklahoma.
Thanks!

I love me some Clayton Oklahoma! I used to go rock crawling there a LOT. Sardis is nice...
One of my first rides I plan on doing with this bike there! I always loved doing the logging roads (K trail) out to Arkansas then drive back via roads. I plan on doing the same path on a dirt bike I'm in the middle of building. I just have to figure out a BIG tank for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to the Forum from a fellow North Texan.
Thanks! I actually picked this bike up from a "neighbor" of yours! GOt it from an old guy in Princeton over on the other side of the lake. That was a COLD ride Friday night over the lake.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts