Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just picked up a 1986 goldwing aspencade today. It currently does not crank. Believe it only needs a starter solenoid which I will be ordering tomorrow. The bike has had one owner, garage kept its whole life, and doesnt even have 7500 miles on it.

My question here is, if the solenoid works and makes it crank again, how much should I ask for an 86 with 7200 miles and never been laid down. If it helps, it's also all original.

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
With that low of mileage I wouldn't be surprised if the complete fuel system will need rebuilt/replaced. An '86 Wing in great condition only commands about $3,000.00.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
216 Posts
If flipping is your thing, a GL1200 will most likely cure that. Don't get me wrong, they are great bikes. But as cantankerous said, they just don't command big money. Especially if a buyer knows the bikes and what it takes to properly recondition one. There's a list of items any old bike is going to need too get back on the road safely, and generally that's gonna cost around $1-1.5k in parts plus time wrenching. Well worth it for someone who wants their own ride. Not so much if your goal is a quick flip. Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
Agree, with the low miles, it has probably been sitting quite a while. Carbs rebuilt, rust in the fuel tank, tires, timing belts, battery, all fluids need replaced, caliper rebuilds. If yo do try to start it, you will be sucking all the gunk in the fuel lines into the carbs.
You may be better off trying to part it out.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey Titan - Did the original owner provide any history on your GW ? With only 7k miles there must be some kind of story (spooked by near accident, twisted an ankle in gravel, parked too long and couldn't get it started, grandfather passed it along to uninterested grandson) ?

These old 4 cylinder bikes are well worth restoring but replacing all the age, reliability and/or safety related parts can get expensive. Are you planning to perform all the needed labor yourself ? Check Craigslist in your area for a Good - Bad - Ugly pricing target.

Michael

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The bike may be beautiful, but it is about 35 years old. Unless the previous owner kept it maintained the above comments all apply. Anything made of rubber will certainly be suspect. Hopefully you were able to get the maintenance records.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If I were you I would put it on the market at what you have in it as even though they are great bikes anyone that knows anything will know the amount of money they will have to put into it to make it reliable and safe. Old guys like me that are retired get them to rebuild as a hobby. I don't think that an not running bike will command much of a price. A bike like you describe around here in the condition of is in would only net you around 1,000 because you can buy a newer running bike for the same money. Low mileage on a bike this old screams a lot of work.

·
Super Moderator
9,868 Posts
Congrats on your new 2 u Wing and welcome to the GWOF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Previous owner passed away. Wife didnt want it sitting around. It was running fine until it stopped starting. The owners daughter and her husband still rode it a little after his passing to my knowledge. Once it stopped cranking they swapped in a new battery, when that didnt work they gave up and sold it.

It's been garage kept and had one owner its whole life. There is almost no corrosion or wear on this bike anywhere. It definitely needs a detailing from your standard garage dust, but it's in immaculate shape and as said, only has just over 7200 miles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts