Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone from chicago area, I started riding a goldwing in 1977 the had to retire for about 30 years. Well I just got back on a goldwing again 1984. It is a great bike only thing I could use some help in locating parts . The bike has been setting for 2 years and has a few issues. So if any one has leaks for parts that arnt out of this world in price it would be very helpful. As I am retired now money is a big issue. I hope to ride again like I did on my "77" and put a 100,000 miles on this bike. thanks in advance for any help, bear 874

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF Bear.......Just tell us what parts your lookin for and we'll get on it.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new old goldwin

well thanks for the fast reply, I guess the first thing in the rear shocks as all Ive been able to find is like $300 each and that is way out of the ball park. I can find some rebuild parts but not all and Iam wondering if that is the way to go??

well if this is a sign of thing to come I thik I will like this site. I bought this wing on a impluse after borrowing a bike for a charity run in jun. I have plans of doing the charith thing aGAIN NEXT jUNE and want this bike standing tall by then. This years run in June I was able to raise $1,000 in cash and 5 boxes of stuff for the Veterans home in Manteno and it felt great. (as I am a vet myself) Well I'll go for now and wait to see what comes up. Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from N Texas.....sorry I can't help with part leads for your bike but I'm sure some other members here can.

Ride safe

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got back from a sunrise on the wing and it was great. I love to ride early in the moring no nuts on the road except for squarrel ones. Any how got home and checked the rear shocks and they are out of air again in one day guess they are shot. Hope someone comes up with some that are afforable?????

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
hello bear, welcome to GWOF

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on getting a Classic Wing.
I have web addresses for a couple of salvage yards specifically for Goldwings.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hay trike lady, Thanks for gettig back to me I have tried salvage yards and its like pulling teeth on a chicken!!!!! I need to know are they prety good about checking stuff or they sell as is where is and no returns. My other option is to try and rebuild them over the winter myself ?????

looks like people like to post pic's as soon as I can figure that out I will post some of befor and after pic's right now it looks okey but I want to make it look better over the winter!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
my compressor went bad and at the time i was too chicken to r&r it so i went with progressive 412hd conventional shocks. if i were you i would save up the $300 and get the progressive air shocks they are much better than the stock air shocks and more adjustable than the 412 hd shocks. i haven't really had to llok for parts and the parts that did need replacing were easy to find

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hay all, while I'am learnig about this site is ther anyone out ther who has rebuilt the rear shocks on a 84-87 Interstate if so how hard is it??????

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome Bear. Not sure about rebuilding those shocks, they are air shocks...but it should be doable if you can find the rebuild kits. I'd go Progressive standards if you can't.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF, Bear! An encounter with a gentleman who goes by "Cantankerous" here could be in your immediate future. Kerry has parts for Wings in our bikes' time periods.

We'll all work together to make sure your Classic Wing is standing proud by next June. Between the advice, knowledge, encouragement, and some available parts I've needed, I figure I've saved $100s being a member of the GWOF versus tackling it all alone. Good investment, oh yeah and it's fun, too!:D

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
hay trike lady, Thanks for gettig back to me I have tried salvage yards and its like pulling teeth on a chicken!!!!! I need to know are they prety good about checking stuff or they sell as is where is and no returns. My other option is to try and rebuild them over the winter myself ?????
They normally test a part, but the thing about electrical parts used is they're a gamble. Plastic body parts would be okay.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bear,glad to have you.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
On the starting issue what's it doing or not doing.
Does it crank ?? Turn over ??
Does it crank but not fires??
Might help the 1200 guys figure things out.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
One dude's opinion: Your starter motor is binding when it's warm/hot. You may need to shim it out a bit from the engine case. Such shims are available from your local Honda dealer, at an outrageous price, of course.:eek: I'd suggest .05" (in metric) at a time until you find the "sweet spot."

As I recall, it took me a lot longer than that to find the "sweet spot" when I was young!:eek::D

Kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.