Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Goldwing thinking of buying one off Craigslist or somewhere to work on and to ride here and there dont have a clue which ones to stay away from or what to look for when buying one I own two bikes now and been riding about forty years on and off now so not totally new just new to Goldwings and any help would be appreciated THANKS GUYS

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You may want to stay some what current with a decent GL1500.
GL1000, 1100 and 1200 have internal stators and if it goes bad you must remove the entire engine. On 1500 and 1800 models they are automotive style alternators.
Most 1500's have upgraded alternators.
GL1200 and 1500 have hydraulic lifters and the others do not.
You have fuel injected 1200's built in 1985 and 1986 known as the Limited and Aspencade SEi. Speaking of Limited if you find a 1976 with gold wheels and a Limited emblem you've got a keeper.
Whether you're hunting for a Classic Wing or just a Wing in general, Good Luck in your search.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the GWOF from Seattle.

You won't regret buying a 1500 Wing. You can get your money back anytime you want. They are reliable and plentiful.

Nothing wrong with an 1000, 1100 or 1200 except that parts become scare. These bikes really have a classic look to them.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would look at nothing older than a 1500 Gold Wing. 1200's have stator problems and a bike that old is hard to get parts for.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Just from a parts/age side of it. 90's & up 1500. Now having said that your budget would have something to say to that as well. There will most likely be some decent deals coming up with the winter getting ready to rear it's head.

Here is a link to a good history of Wings explaining models, differences & changes through the years.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello ultra, welcome to GWOF. while 1200 wings are known to have stator problems i just have to say that i got mine back in '07 and the only thing its been in the shop for are tires. i just like how my 1500 wing fits me ( ergo's ) better

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Hey Thanks for all the responce. Thats the info I was looking to get to make my search a more informed one I knew some had stator problems didnt think anything about hydro lifters until now figured they were all the same THANKS ALOT

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
those 1000 wings run darn good and with a dyna ignition to replace those points i could see one in my stable. on the other hand 1100 wings already have electronic ignitions and are some fine rides too and i wouldn't mind seeing one in my stable, an 1100 standard

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm new to the Goldwing thinking of buying one off Craigslist or somewhere to work on and to ride here and there dont have a clue which ones to stay away from or what to look for when buying one I own two bikes now and been riding about forty years on and off now so not totally new just new to Goldwings and any help would be appreciated THANKS GUYS
I agree with others... stay with a GL1500 or newer for best availability of parts and aftermarket accessories. As to which to stay away from or not, that's a matter of research and then testing one out.

I gotta pretty good deal on my 89 GL1500. The bike had the classic GL1500 bank sensor problem - that I researched some before going to try the bike. The bike cutoff on bumpy roads and going over speed bumps. no biggie as it was triked, but I was able to get a better deal on the bike as a result. Had I not researched this problem beforehand and how easy it was to get it fixed, I would have rejected the bike. Also, I made sure that since this GL1500 had a heel-toe shifter that it did not have that dreaded bent internal shifter mechanism that would make it jump out of 4th gear. That requires an engine overhaul.

Gotta research ahead of time and narrow your field of choices and then hit Craigslist and try 'em out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
bent shifter??

Hey GW, I have an '86 1200 trike with a heel/toe shifter. This is the first I have heard about the...

"...dreaded bent internal shifter mechanism that would make it jump out of 4th gear. That requires an engine overhaul. "
Can you explain a little more? Is or was it common on these bikes? I DO have a little trouble shifting ,but I thought it was just me, since I am new to biking. Is it an "easy" fix?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Howdy Ultra, welcome. The best bang for the buck lies in the 1500 model run.

Maestro, there is some basis in fact about the h/t shifter being able to cause damage internally. The extra leverage that the longer arm provides 'can' increase the force on the shift fork in side the tranny, so if a rider really puts undue pressure on the lever it 'could' cause excess strain on the fork. Emphasis on the words can a could, since it depends on the amount of hammering the rider puts on the shifter. Anything will break if you force it hard enough. As to the total motor overhaul, that's not true either. The motor has to come out to replace the shift fork inside the tranny, but no total overhaul is required, only the shift fork and transmission work. But it is NOT a quick or inexpensive fix either.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I think the Obama stimulus package should include a provision whereby all Wing owners prior to 2011 should be able to get an automatic upgrade to an 1800.

Kinda like the clunker program.... but let us keep the old one for a back up in case we wear the 1800 out. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts