Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find some header pipes that were at a reasonable price, so I bit the bullet and bought the Motad exhaust for my '86 SEi:). It was very easy to get on; infact it was harder to remove the old system. The exhaust sounds smooth and quiet now. It does change color to a slight golden hue, which I don't mind because of the colors of the SEi (creme and tan). They were turned in the first short (10 mile) ride, so I can't see trying to polish them after every ride. The only other difference, is the mufflers do not go back as far as the factory system. I knew both going in, so neither issue is a concern for me. Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Glad you found something that worked. Any pics for us to see??

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've seen the products online, but never heard form anyone that actually had them. Thanks for this, many 1200 owners will be interested. Yeah, pics if you can:D

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Nice looking pipes. Your right, they are shorter. Any issues with heat on the saddle bags?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No heat problems yet. It has been a little cooler around here the last few rides though.

Chuck

·
Registered
109 Posts
The gold color comes from heat acting on stainless steel. I think it looks good!
Chrisgl1800

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
How's the sound with them? I think they advertise a deeper tone and little louder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has been a while since I have been around a wing, so I can't say how it directly compares. They are a nice and quiet low tone though. Very easy to talk/listen over, even at highway speeds.

Chuck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey people, well I've just bought a set of stainless steel Motads for my 86 Aspencade via eBay, (still waiting for them to arrive) and to complete the picture, I've also taken the gamble and bought some stainless steel extensions via saber-cycle. It's a gamble because I don't really know if the external diameter if the Motad's will marry up with the internal dialmeter of the extensions or which ever way it works. So, here's the deal, I bought my 86 Aspencade back in December 2010, and 2 months later we had a big earthquake (Christchurch, New Zealand, February 22nd) and my baby ends up on her side sustaining plenty of cosmetical damage. The insurance company offered to pay for the repainting of the damaged parts only (not a full repaint), but lets be honest, that would look crap, the bike would look half shiny, half 25yrs old. So I opted sfor a new single tone colour scheme (Yep, that's how we spell "colour" here in NZ, not "color"). So I have gone for metallic black (with a copper metallic fleck). And there will be gold pin striping, chrome mirror accents and chrome trim beneath a shortened tinted windshield.
Now at this point, I have to say there was a previous owner of this bike was a complete diddle head! He/she put on some really nasty-ass, poorly manufactured pipe extensions and painted them blue. And if that's not offensive enough, they were badly welded and leaked severely. This person was not worthy of owning a Goldwing as they obviously had the IQ of fart.
So, let us consider that the stainless steel Motads tarnish in the first 10 miles, with the black/metallic copper and gold pinstriping colour scheme, I think that should work quite well and the tarnishing shouldn't look out of place.
Right now, the bike is in the paint shop, the pipes are on their way from the USA to New Zealand, and there's a big empty space in my garage. I will post before and after shots, and a full review of the Motad exhausts upon completion.
Watch this space.........

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sounds as though you have everything under control!! Waiting on the pictures.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So, waiting for my nice shiny new stainless pipes to turn up (destined for Christchurch, New Zealand) for the Goldwing, ran the track and trace and got this:
Detailed Results:

Into Foreign Customs, April 24, 2011, 1:08 pm, RUSSIA
Arrived Abroad, April 24, 2011, 11:03 am, RUSSIA
... International Dispatch, April 19, 2011, 3:46 am, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Arrival
Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 15, 2011

Hmmmmm!
Arrived into Russian customs?
WTF?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts