Honda Goldwing Forum banner

What location do you want to meet in....

• San Angelo Texas

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Palo Duro Texas

Votes: 5 71.4%
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to narrow the field to the top two choices. Please vote and restate what month you want to meet in...we are narrowing it down. :D

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Palo Duro....first half of April

San Angelo...any Saturday

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
April would be okay with me....

Bent did you vote?

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Yes, sir, that was me. My ex-wife was the last person to refer me as "Bent" and she wasn't being friendly.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I can do Palo Duro Canyon in April too and yes, I voted. I'll probably make this a camping trip if anyone else wants to camp together Saturday night.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Ist half April will work for me.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, sir, that was me. My ex-wife was the last person to refer me as "Bent" and she wasn't being friendly.
I have been married 30 years..but I was married for a couple of years when I was a kid...and my X usually referred to me as GET Bent....lol

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can do Palo Duro Canyon in April too and yes, I voted. I'll probably make this a camping trip if anyone else wants to camp together Saturday night.
Getting my trailer hitch put on the wing tommorrow..So that might be possible. I don't think I can get the Mrs. to camp but I might consider it ...I have to figure out where in Texas it is. The trailer I have now has a cooler on it as well. I will not be using it for IBA rides though usually just to have when I take the Mrs. on a trip..

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Lee:
I vote Palo Duro if its in April. I cannot do a Feb or March. And I will bring my trailer and tent camp.

As to how to get there, I have to know where you are coming from in NM. But without that information the most used route is I-40 to Amarillo, then go south on I-27 about 18 miles to Canyon and then East on 217 for about 12 miles to the entrance to the State Park. 217 intersects I-27 and has signs directing you to Palo Duro. If you plan to stay in a Motel/Hotel, the nearest will be in Canyon.

There are only 2 or 3 cabins at the park and they are ultra hard to get. They stay booked almost year round and they cost about $100 per night. They ain't cheap. ...Isaac

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will bring a tent....I am looking forward to meeting you all. We need to set a set date or weekend. That is the next step. first or second weekend in April? I am flexible you guys let me know. I like havng things set up ..it looks like four...did we lose someone...

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I'm riding up on a Friday so I don't have to leave at 3am and tent camping at the campground Friday and Saturday night. I'll have an 8 cup percolating with gourmet Columbian on Saturday morning and bringing my Dutch Oven for some blueberry muffins and bacon on the griddle. Always have extra to share if you're there too. May I suggest 4/13 for our M&G.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Of the ones posting on the previous thread, the only one we're missing is Willmax, but he was pushing for Palo Duro from the beginning so I wouldn't count him out yet. And its a short ride for Hallct, so he's probably still in. I'm expecting 6. Once details are firm we might even pick up a couple more.

Lee, did you settle on a route?. I haven't been there in probably 10 years. DreamWeaver, I get the impression you've been there multiple times. Do you have a place to eat in mind?

Only for the better chance of better weather. I'd lean toward the second weekend. But I'm flexable since I've already got the time off. I could even wait till the first week of April when we're getting a long-range forecast and set a date then.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Of the ones posting on the previous thread, the only one we're missing is Willmax, but he was pushing for Palo Duro from the beginning so I wouldn't count him out yet. And its a short ride for Hallct, so he's probably still in. I'm expecting 6. Once details are firm we might even pick up a couple more.

Lee, did you settle on a route?. I haven't been there in probably 10 years. DreamWeaver, I get the impression you've been there multiple times. Do you have a place to eat in mind?

Only for the better chance of better weather. I'd lean toward the second weekend. But I'm flexable since I've already got the time off. I could even wait till the first week of April when we're getting a long-range forecast and set a date then.
Sorry but I have been all over texas but not there. I figure on looking at the internet to find someplace are you tenting it? I have to got out and get a tent and some other things...I got rid of all my camping crap before I left Maine...lol I did not think iwould be doing that again..usually I prefer a hotel...shower and a soft bed..lol
Even on my big ride I slept four hours every night right after a hot shower...it helped me to get through the next day....

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
4/13 would work for me and I would bring my trailer and tent as well, probably can get a buddy of mine that has a 2005 wing to come as well, but he has never joined this forum.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I figure on looking at the internet to find someplace are you tenting it?
Palo Duro State Park for those camping. Generally you can get 2 campers per site and split the fee. Since I'm pulling a trailer I'll haul some oak firewood from home.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Well, I have been there a couple of times but never to camp or stay overnight. There is (I assume there still is) a hamburger joint in the canyon that has good hamburgers and its a gotcha shop too. Other than that, if you want something different then you have to go to Canyon which is about 15 or 20 miles west. The road going in there off the main highway is paved but rough as a cob. The headquarters or place to sign in is on the right just as you enter the canyon. I have never camped there so it will be new for me too.:) Isaac

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
4/13 would work for me and I would bring my trailer and tent as well, probably can get a buddy of mine that has a 2005 wing to come as well, but he has never joined this forum.
That would be good we can get him to join later:D I am going to pic up a dome tent, mummy bag adn an air matress....got to have an air mattress...lol
4/13 is fine with me....

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Second week of April is OK for me. Since its gonna take me at least 10 hours to get there I suggest that whoever gets there first try and get us all close together somehow. I'll be tenting too and I suggest a section that has water and showers. I think some of the areas have porta potties but some have running water and showers and regular bathrooms. I would prefer that. Does everyone have a CB? If so I suggest Ch 1. May be a mute point since down in the canyon I couldn't even get a radio station when I was there last. So, how many have we got now? Maybe the first to arrive can leave a piece of paper at the sign in area with name and spot #. That way as we come in we can say" I want to be near this feller". Again, I have no idea what the camp sites look like. And by the way, gas up before you get there.

I saw 13 April (Saturday) and thats OK with me. How long is everyone staying? I've never been to one of these "meet and greet" things so I am dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to what's gonna happen.

Again I want to make something very clear to everybody. Weather is a major concern. April brings rain, sleet and sometimes freezing temps. There is 1, I repeat 1 entrance / exit to the canyon on this end and it's one hell of a drop or climb depending on your direction. Prepare and keep an eye on the weather forecast cause if your in the canyon and it comes a storm, you are there for the duration. No if and's or but's.

Here is a link to the map of the park... http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4506_007g.pdf And you enter the canyon from the right side of the map.
:eek: Isaac

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Here is another link where you can find more information. You can find out prices and such. I notice that a Burn Ban is in effect so a fire may prohibited. But sometimes they let you have a fire if its inside the fire ring. I guess one would have to call to find out. And notice that they lock the entrance gate at 10PM. Isaac

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon

1 - 20 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.