Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I'm an avid motorcycle rider. I ride a 2005 ST1300 and a 2007 HD Street Glide. My wife rides a 2005 HD Road King Custom. I wanted to get some information on the Goldwing, so I've joined your forum. Maybe someday I will be an owner also. I'm retired L/E so maybe I can add some experience to your forum also. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF muelskinner, what do you do with the skin when you're done and what does peta have to say about it??

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Hello from N.W. Illinois and welcome to the board Skinner:)

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the board from the Keystone state. Ride safe and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
691 Posts
MULESKINNER
Welcome. Hope you enjoy it here on GWOF.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always get that response. A "Muleskinner" is someone who rides or drives Mules. Driving a Mule means the Mule is pulling a wagon you ride in. The Borax 20 mule team driver was a muleskinner. I don't know where the name came from originally.

Let me tell ya. There is nothing like being on the back of a 1200 pound animal with it's own brain. There is no throttle, brake pedal or ignition kill switch!:eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean seriously you Skin Mules? WHOAAA:eek:

Any way welcome from the East Coast & here is a good site to start.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

Have fun good group of people here. Lots of info.
Very good read. That guy went to a lot of effort to put that article together! If Honda makes the wing in Japan, could that mean the quality will go up? My ST is made in Japan and the quality is superb!

Toyota has this problem also. When they brought the Tacoma production to Fremont the techs at the dealers started noticing quality control problems when compared to the previous year models.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
A "Muleskinner" is someone who rides or drives Mules.
Would that make all of us Wingskinners?:eek:

Let me tell ya. There is nothing like being on the back of a 1200 pound animal with it's own brain. There is no throttle, brake pedal or ignition kill switch!
Do you ever find yourself yelling "No No No you @*^#)# OVER THERE"?

Very good read. That guy went to a lot of effort to put that article together! If Honda makes the wing in Japan, could that mean the quality will go up? My ST is made in Japan and the quality is superb!
You're right there was agreat deal of effort put into it. Which is why I always recommend it to people looking for info & don't you just love American Quality?

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
... HOWDY ... I KNOW WHAT A MULE SKINNER IS BECAUSE I WAS A 'CAT SKINNER' FOR ALMOST 40yrs. ... GUESS IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE ... HAPPY TRAILS ...
OK 'ZILLA Now it is your turn to explain how you ride a cat?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet he rides his cat "Very carefully!" :)

Anyway, American quality. Yes it's not that great even when you build the parts in Japan. A hung over or pissed off employee over here can screw it up!

Take my Kubota tractor for example. The main tractor is built in Japan. The machine is flawless. The front end loader is built here and you can see the difference. The paint is fading, the welds are not as nice, Etc. This is why I've been a Toyota driver for a very long time.

My ST1300 is a prime example of Japan built quality. Flawless! But, I'm very surprised at the build quality of my 2007 Street Glide. Harley finally got it right. I have no 5th gear whine like a lot of 07's. The fit and finish are nice. So I don't know what to say.

If Honda takes the wing to Japan a lot of jobs will be lost here. But if the quality goes up, well it's a good thing for us buyers!

Funny story. I rode my Glide to the store the other day and parked next to a newer white wing. Man I could not believe how big that thing was!!! It made my Harley look like a toy. You guys must have to do power squats with weights to hold one up!

But it did catch my attention. I like the white color. I wish Honda would make one without the rear touring pac trunk. I never ride two up. I bet the bike would look nice without the trunk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Rider Down

I was saddened to hear about the death of the wing rider in Idaho. I was a bit surprised how long he was over due before the search got under way.

If any more details come out on how and why he crashed and what the cause of death was I would like to hear them. I always like after action reports, especially when it pertains to one of my hobbies.

I do most of my riding alone, as there are not too many folks around here who like to ride any farther than the local bars.:mad: If anyone around my area likes to ride, give me a shout.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to add, I once was a Gold Wing owner. Back in the mid 90's I found a 75 or 76 black wing at a garage sale and bought it for $450.00. I had to over haul the carbs ($160.00 for the kits) but got it running and rode it for a few miles. Then coolant started leaking from the water pump area, so I sold it for $1000.00.

I wish I had kept it, as the bike was exceptionally clean. I always thought the early wings would make a cool looking hot rod bike, as they were bare with no plastic fairing stuff. The engines looked good in the frame. I wish now I had bought the black Valkyrie my local dealer had in stock back in 2006 when I had the chance. The only detractor for me was the rumor of bad fuel mileage. If only Honda had put EFI on them instead of carbs. :mad: I don't know what they were thinking! Maybe Honda will bring them back some day.:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts