Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I just purchased a 2010 GL1800 with 3400 miles on it. It has everything except the airbag.
My question is; is there anything about this model that I should know or check before I start long trips this spring.
Thanks in advance
MichaelJ

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum...fom VA!

As for your question.....A Full tank of gas! And some muscle relaxers...your face is gonna hurt from all the smiling! :cool:

Mark

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Welcome michaelj. Full tank, empty bladder:D What's your riding experience? While the Wing is a large (duh) scoot, they are easily managed once practiced. Take some time doing short jaunts to get used to her and you'll be fine. Know your controls and systems well before venturing out the first time, and it won't hurt to find a quiet parking lot to get accustomed to the slow speed maneuvers. Enjoy.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
My present ride is a VTX 1800. I have put almost 60,000 miles on it. I have been riding since 1974.
Will check tires and gas. Never had a gas gauge before. I have only put a few miles on the GL1800, snow storm, but I think it handles better than the X.

Thanks again,
Michaelj

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with everyone. A full tank and air pressure check. On my 2010 after 200 miles I'll look for gas. It did take me sometime getting comfortable on the Wing. I came from an Electra Glide to the Wing and the seating position is different but I'm use to it and love it. I hope to make it out to Colorado this summer. I'll load the bike up and head west and see how far I go. So enjoy your Wing and ride safe and often.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
hello mike, welcome to GWOF. you'll also need a drivers backrest and highway pegs to make those long rides more comfortable

·
Super Moderator
28,505 Posts
Greetings michaelj from Pa. I think you will find that the GWOF is a great place to be.

Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
10-4 on that, Mike. My Wing replaced a 1300VTX and comparing the two though the same twisties, the Wing was twice the bike in every aspect. I never felt secure on that VTX.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You might check out the Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA)
Find a local chapter and meet some great people that share your same riding interests. They can give safety advice and offer training classes. You get a Gold Book that is a great traveling companion in case of emergency. Good Luck and enjoy your riding. :D

Greg

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Change the oil, fill her up with gas and put on some Credence Clearwater Revival or Steppnwolf music and head on out the highway......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chopin114

I see that you are dark side. I am dark on my VTX and love it. Was thinking to do the same on the Wing. How is it?

Michaelj

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
Chopin114

I see that you are dark side. I am dark on my VTX and love it. Was thinking to do the same on the Wing. How is it?

Michaelj
Great ride. Smooth and quiet. The Wing looses nothing in the trade. If you liked it then I can't imagine you wouldn't like it now. I had my VTX for three years and only discovered the C/T as a viable alternative since I had the Wing. I was looking for a smoother / quieter ride and I got it.

·
Banned
13 Posts
when i first got the wing in2008 i found it a bit hard getting use to it at low speeds and around parking lots ,but after a month or so you get the feel of it .It,s a great bike and both me and the wife have no regrets

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
You might check out the Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA)
Find a local chapter and meet some great people that share your same riding interests. They can give safety advice and offer training classes. You get a Gold Book that is a great traveling companion in case of emergency. Good Luck and enjoy your riding. :D

Greg
++1 on the GWRRA. They publish a Gold Book, and a member should not leave home without it.

You live right in the middle of some of the best riding in the world.... and now you will be riding the best touring motorcycle in the world. What a combination you have there.

Welcome from Seattle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts