Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am a newbee from the midwest (IOWA). I just picked up my first Wing and it is going to need a lot of work to get it back on the road. It is a 1981 1100 GL Interstate, that has been sitting since 2002 and has not ran in almost that long. If the OD is correct it has only 47,000 miles on it. The last time it was ran the guy said that he could only get it up to 70 mph. So I will most likely be doing the Carbs, Timing, Valves. Plus I have to go through the brakes from sitting. Also I am not sure but it looks to me that somebody put older saddle bags and trunk on it do to the fact that they do not look like what should be on there.

I Guess what I need to know is were is a good start in the way of hot spots to look at first to get it back on the road. Also I will post Pics as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the site. Seem to be alot of helpful and knowledgeable people here that I have noticed. Think you will enjoy it. Safe riding and hope you get your baby up and going soon. First thing I would do is check and change all the vital fluids, oil, fuel, filters, spark plugs etc. Get down and get a look at the timing belts, cause you can do the coolant change at the same time. While you are there, you can see how easily the engine turns, make sure nothing is seized up (pull the spark plugs, you can check compression later). I got a service manual, and it has paid for itself in what I would have dished out in labor charges. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and wto GWOF dobber and good luck with your wing project

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
dobber, Welcome to the GWOF from Pa. There are several guys on the site who have done or are doing the same thing as you "resurrecting a classic". I'm sure they will chime in. Anyhow get into it & get it done so you can ride. Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new/used Wing. It may look like a daunting task now, but when your done you will have a really great bike to ride. Enjoy it and ride safe..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hi there Dobber and welcome! First Wing I ever rode was a buddy's 1100I, felt like a Caddy next to my CB750C. Enjoy your project and then ride and enjoy that more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome guys. Sounds Like a great forum to be part of. Ya RakKasan, after thinking about it, I better get new fluids in it, and I think I better put some trans fluid in the cyclinders for a bit before I turn it over. I sure would hate to damage the jugs. Do the timing belts on these have issues ahter sitting? and how about the valve springs do they get weak as I have been told?

Thanks Again and I look forward to chatting with you all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I finally got the keys today to my bike. Now the fun will begin. I guess now I have to quit talking and take action on this bike. Ya....

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Keep us informed! :)

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Hi dobber, did'nt realize we were neighbors rode thru your town two weeks ago, good luck with the project.;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi dobber, did'nt realize we were neighbors rode thru your town two weeks ago, good luck with the project.;)
Matt were you from? and were you just passing through to get to a better place LOL. We do have Biker Nights this week in Down town Sioux City. There will be lots of bands and bikes to see if anybody wants to go.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Dobber, I'm from N.W. Illinois, I was just passing thru, rode out to Sioux Falls down to your city, Council Bluffs and back across Ia. to home.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Hi Dobber, welcome to the site and wish you the best on your project :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts