Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some advice as I shop for a Gold Wing. Any concerns about looking into insurance totals - some are in floods, while some are stolen and later recovered.

Please tell me your thoughts

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I personally would stay away from both for the folowing reasons.
1. I'm not that handy or mechanically able to do a lot of work on my bike (other than oil changes, plugs, etc) so if something goes wrong, I'm pretty much stuck and have to go to the dealer.
2. I don't believe the warranty is any good on a flood/salvage Wing, so dealer costs to fix things that go wrong is on average $90 per hour. So that can add up fast.
3. As ronzilla said there are a lot of electronics involved with a Wing and accidents and flooding can cause really big problems down the line.

If you can do your own work and feel comfortable with dealing with the problems, then you can save money.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF clapperjohn. i would not buy a flood damaged bike. what if water has been sitting inside the motor? a stolen / recovered bike would depend on the damage. even replacing cosmetics on a wing can get pricie. are the frame, forks and swing arm streight and undamaged? hows the wireing? take a look on ebay to see how much the parts you need cost ( used parts ) can you do the work required yourself. i paid $2500 for my '84 aspencade and all it needed was tires. i don't see buying a project'84 wing and putting a total of $2500 in it when i know i can find one already running fot the same money

1 - 4 of 4 Posts