Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

Ok life is now complete I have a Goldwing!

I just picked up a 96 Honda Goldwing GL1500SE, this morning with only 19k miles. I have to say I love it!

I already have a Suzuki Boulavard S83 1400cc, but it's a bit small for the amount of riding I do with the Patriot Guard and the American Legion Riders here in New Mexico.

A few questions I have about the Goldwing:

1. Can I upgrade from the old cassette/AM/FM stereo to a new CD or MP3 stereo?

2. After leaving the bike sit for an hour or so on the side stand, I chanked it up, and I had a few seconds of white/Blue smoke come from the exhaust. I tried to place the smell but I could not Identify it for sure. I have always thought that white/Blue smoke is a cracked head and oil is leaking. However I trolled a few other forums and I guess this is a common problem with Wings on the side stands? can anyone confirm this.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp you might be able to provide.

·
Super Moderator
9,880 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. On the audio, there may be some after market companies that sell what you are looking for. If I remember correctly at one time you could buy a cassett with a wire attached that would power a CD player, but I'm sure they have improved on that technology. MP3/IPod is the way you want to go for convenience and size..

As far as the smoke, I've heard the same thing, although I never had the problem with my 98 SE. I would keep an eye on the oil level and if there is no drop I would not worry about it. I believe it is from the oil draining to that side while on the side stand. Ride safe and enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Two Wing:
That confirms what I had thought as well. I'll keep an eye on it and pray I did'nt get myself into a Bike that will be down for repairs.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Yes, they still do make the cassette adapter to run accessories through the GL-1500 audio system, I hade seen them in the store the other day.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My '94SE will do that too,especially if she is really hot when i park it. Mine has 119k on it.Yours just isn't broke in good yet.lol Nothing to worry about. These engines are pretty bullitproof.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Welcome from Illinois :)

·
Administrator
26,212 Posts
Welcome josbo1213. It's a bit of a trait of the 'boxer' style engine configuration, especially if you put the bike on the stand before you turn off the engine. Shut her down first and then use the sidestand and it should all but disappear. Used to happen alot with the BMW K bikes too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I bought my '95 Aspy 28k, I know it had been setting for a while. It did the same thing as yours. The first thing I always do is change oil and filter, and that was the end of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the bike down to the shop this morning to be serviced.

Things I wanted them to look at where:

Smoke on start up= Chuck at Alamogordo cycles, confirmed the smoke issue to be coming from the use of the side stand.

My ignition only works in Neutral or when it feels like working in gear=

My headlamp must be female, it only likes to get turned on when it wants to= Both the Ignition and the head lamp where wiring issues, the ignition was just a bad ground, and same with the headlamp.

just a note, all these issues are mentioned in the forums so save some money and troll the forums and do it your self! the only reason I took it is was to get a professionals point of view on what condtion the bike is in on a whole. now that I have it looked at I will start working on it my self.

Thanks again for all the help folks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts