Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is Tim and I bought a 1992 Goldwing Aspencade today. I have been riding a 1985 Suzuki GV700 Madura for the last 4 1/2 years and wanted something that is more comfortable for the wife and myself. The Wing has 57,000 miles showing and looks like it came off the showroom floor. I can't wait to get some saddle time! Any pointers for someone going from a 550 lb. sport cruiser to a Goldwing is appreciated. Also, are there any mechanical details that I need to be aware of or check?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome Tim,you've come to a great place. The biggest thing to get used to at first is the fairing not moving when steering,and you can't see the front wheel. You are experienced,so won't take long. Next is slow speed turning.like U turns and parking lot stuff.Do a good bit of practice at this before adding the misses. Once you are used to this thing,you and your wife are gonna love it! These bikes handle surprisingly well for there size/weight.Does yours have reverse? If so,my advice is try to use it sparingly,after all ,your starter is what makes it go backwards.Ride often and Safe.Ken 94SE Pearl White. My previous ride was lighter than yours.'82 Kaw1000CSR,470lbs.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Tim, Good to have you on board & congrats. You don't indicate whether you made purchase from private owner or dealer. If from private owner check maintenance records if there are any. The Wing is a big girl that can be tamed very easily if you ride smart. Get on youtube & search Goldwing videos, you will find everything from how to pickup your wing "When" you drop it, to putting it on the center stand, to low speed maneuvers, & even high speed driving. Then search this site for specific topics that you may want to know about or just ask the questions & we'll all join in the discussion. We have a great bunch here with varied (yet respectful) opinions. Again welcome to the site have fun & Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF tim

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the board from Pa and congrats on your new (2 u ) Wing. Lots of great riding in your neck of the woods. Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Congrats on your purchase Tim. Slow speed skills are everything on a bigger bike, especially two up. Nothing really different about checking mechanicals on a Goldwing vs. any other bike except for the timing belts or trouble-shooting some of the creature comforts. It's still a motorcycle after all, just a very nice comfy one. Seals, brakes, lines, steering and suspension bushings/bearings, tyres, shocks etc. are the main things. Previous owner records make things alot easier, or shop records if it's been at the same shop for periodic maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome and the replies everyone. I did get it from a private owner that had only had her for a year. He was not comfortable on the big girl, so he decided to sell it. I don't have any service records, so I am assuming that everything needs to be checked. All the hoses look like new, along with the rest of the bike, so they are not a major concern for the moment. I will change the oil, filter, rear drive... all the usual stuff.

I will check youtube and try what they are showing, especially the low speed practice. I have a large church parking lot near here that I "played" on with the Suzuki doing U-turns and other slow control manuvers. That is where I felt the least comfortable today after I got possesion of the wing. I was suprised at how nimple the wing is for such a large bike, even though I did drag my boot in one curve. It's not as tall as my other ride! :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Snidert, welcome to the club, you have the right idea about al the items to check, but you might have missed the most important one. The timing belt MUST be checked and changed if there is any doubt about it's age or condition. The timing belt drives the cam shafts and is made of rubber and it will fail after a certain time/mileage, when it fails it does lots of expensive damage to the engine. Therefore you need to find out when it was last changed and if any doubt, get it changed and then have peace of mind for many more miles.

Gary

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Welcome to the board from NC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts