Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traveling for work at the moment but I have been working with Honda of Russelville Arkansas for about a week on a new wing.
After a life time of admiring the Goldwing from afar, I will be picking up one of my own on the 29th.
2012 Navi / XM model, red.
Dealer is installing passenger arm rests, rider back rest, floor boards with heel toe shifter, and fog lights.

I will ride in and trade in my current ride a VTX 1800T and ride out in style on the new wing.

300 mile return trip on a new wing.
As near as I can tell from reading, I shouldnt have much break in to worry about. No rapid accelerations, avoid long distances at the same speed. Anything else?

I have several friends that ride cruisers like the VTX, and they have all stated that they didnt think I was old enough for a Goldwing. "They are an old persons bike" is a common statement.

I am 45.
I respond with "Why should I wait until I retire to expect both comfort and power from my ride?"

Seems like a good message board. Looking forward to learning from others as the relationship between me and my new girl grows.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Welcome from the Keystone state. Congrats on your new Wing. Post some pics for us to see and ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello doug, welcome to GWOF. when i first told my friends i wanted a wing the '84's were just introduced

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Welcome from Central Washington. Enjoy and be Safe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome. I will post some ride pics soon.
My 10 year old daughter rides with me alot. She is anxious to help me get it broken in.
The wife doesn't understand why they cost as much as a car.
I am sure she will be a believer after the first ride.

The intercom communication aspect of it will be a double edged sword.
Rides with the wife now and I can hardly hear her. That is not always a bad thing.
is there a mute button perhaps? :)

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Welcome from the Tulsa metro area Doug. If you are looking for someone to ride with I'm usually game for a ride. As for mute buttons I'm not sure on the new ones but on my GL1500 you just have to turn off the intercom! :D

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome from Texas, Doug. I traded in a VTX 1300 when I bought my 05 Wing and haven't looked back. The only thing that took a bit of adjustment was handling the additional weight at low speed, but once you're underway, the Wing handles better, IMO. You're gonna love it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The intercom communication aspect of it will be a double edged sword.
Rides with the wife now and I can hardly hear her. That is not always a bad thing.
is there a mute button perhaps? :)
Half helmets = no intercom, that's how the wife and I ride. As to your buddies, if they're riding a V-twin they'll be looking at your back side most of the time.
It's big, it's nimble, pulled a u turn in a double wide drive yesterday, wife on the back feet on the pegs.
It's a different riding position than the v-twin you've been riding. It will just take some riding to get used to it. I went from a 1100 Shadow to a Venture to this Wing. Love everything but the seat, but Rick Butler will be fixing that over the winter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tomorrow is the big day.
Alarm is set for 5:00am. After a quick breakfast I will ride the 300 miles to HOR to see my new lady.
Can't sleep at all. I feel like a 10 year old on Christmas Eve.
Bushtec deluxe pin hitch is on its way as well. It will be the first addition to it after it gets home.
Now if I can just avoid all those shiny chrome parts on the shelf as I am signing the papers tomorrow, I might just make it.
Must...be... strong....

I have looked at several Wing accessory web sites and I had no idea there were so many different things out there.
Comfort and practical pieces first. I am sure the extra shinies will come eventually. I couldn't possible refuse my girl some new jewels once in awhile.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Warning

I purchased a PO 2008 with 865 miles on it about 2 months ago. It was all stock except the heel/toe shifter. I'm already over 2G's in and have only purchased "necessities", no safety chrome or such. 5G's would be nothing to add on to this machine. Take your credit card, "it's not money, just plastic".

Enjoy the ride. :)

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts