Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!!! I'm a new member but not yet a new OWNER. My wife and I currently ride a Vstar1300 and pull a small tent trailer that I designed and built. We like to travel this great country and believe the best way to do this is on 2 wheels!!

We are looking at upgrading to a Goldwing. We rented one for a day and put on 500 miles, all we can say is WOW. I love my cuiser, the Vstar1300 has really been an excellent performer doing a good job riding two up and pulling a trailer but we are looking for something that is a little better providing comfort for the passanger and a little more capacity for towing. The Wing is definately it.

I do have one question to throw out there. We are looking at 2005 and newer Goldwings. Cosmetically it appears there are very little, if any, differences in the 2005 models and up. Are there any non-cosmetic differences in the model year that a buyer should be aware of?

Happy riding!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome from Ontario Canada cfinn1. I drive a 1500 so can't help with your question, but my wife loves the back seat as much as I love the front.
I'm sure our 1800 friends will comment.
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
Like Stratman, I also ride a 1500 so I can't distinguish between the models. However, I do want to give you a warm welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I sold my cruiser just a few months ago after not riding it very much. It just became unimportant.

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
hello cfinn1, welcome to GWOF. seems all the 1500 wing owners are greeting you first and cannot answer your question. by the way i test rode a '10 1800 a few weeks ago. good thing i'm broke or it may have taken me home

·
Premium Member
7,191 Posts
Hello from Alabam - I ride the 02 1800. I cut my teeth on a Boulevard C50. I can say there is very little difference cosmetically from the 02's to the 10's. One thing I know is everything I got from the Boulevard is magnified with the Wing. The Wing rides better 2 up than 1 up. It's sooooo much smoother and I think I could pull a tank. I tested a Electra Glide and the Wing was hands down unless you enjoy loud pipes and the galloping gate of a Harley. As far as the Non-Cosmetics....the technology gets a little better every year. I am a Million times satisfied with an 02...so an 05 would be great. Comes down to "How Much Doe can you Blow"....Ride Safe

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Hello from way down south in hotter'n hell Texas. I ride an '05 Wing with ABS. I bought it two years ago and have had absolutely no problems. Cold isn't the problem down here, so I wasn't looking for the comfort package (heated seats & grips), but that might be more important where you are. There were some issues with cracking frams on earlier GL1800's, but I understand those were worked out by the time the 05's came along. To get ABS on the 06 model, you had to buy Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS package which added thousands to the price. Air bags came along in '07. A good website you might want to checkout that deliniates the differences in the Goldwing models is www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm. It breaks down the differences very nicely.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
cfinn1,

willmax has given you a great site to look at. Lots of info.

Welcome to the site & good luck on your quest.

·
Super Moderator
9,867 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Now get out there and get your Wing. Ride safe and enjoy the site...

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Welcome to the site from the Tar Heel state :)

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Hi Cfinn1, I came back to Goldwing from a VStar 1100; Great little bike but not a tourer in my humble opinion. Welcome to the forum, you'll meet some great people here.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Her's a late how do for ya, been on vacation so. Cheers and welcome to GWOF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts