Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello from a new GW rider; I've ridden for over 30 years now, but was on a 4-year hiatus that ended when I bought a 1998 GL1500SE with matching trailer. Prior to this bike, I've road Yamaha Venture, Suzuki Calvacade and a few smaller bikes (one of my all-time-favorites was a Honda CX-500, which I rode from Green Bay, WI to Acapulco, Mexico in 1979).

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to ride the GW yet. And I'm undergoing shoulder surgery tomorrow so I suspect that I may not be riding for a few months. I do prefer touring and my wife does go along sometimes, hence the GW (and other two large touring bikes). I don't think its because I've not been riding for a few now, but for some reason the GW, with all its bells and whistles, seems very top heavy and I am having a lot of difficulty at slow speed?

I hope this will improve with time and more riding experience. But I have a couple of questions: 1) Has anyone had experience with Jerry Palladino's "RideLikeAPro" resources? Is the DVD/Book worth the money? 2) I can't put the bike on the center stand so I'm thinking of buying a "ride on/off" center stand? Do they work as advertised?

BTW, my member name is taken from a motorcycle club I belonged to in NY in 1981. We dissolved but I've always liked the name so I thought I'd use it here. Any x-random riders out there?

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
RR, welcome to the forum from PA and congrats on your new Wing. I have a friend who owned a Cavalcade and I always thought that was top heavy, so I'm suprised you think the 1500 is top heavy. Maybe some more time in the saddle with change your perception. Ride safe and enjoy the site. Hope your surgery goes well and your back on the bike soon...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcoe to GWOF Random Rider. I'm surprised that you find the Wing top heavy too, but it is a different bike than the others you've had. I'm sure you'll be doing cirlces and esses in parking lots in no time though, just some prctice and patience is all. Sorry I'm not familliar with the source material you mentioned.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome from Ontario Canada RR. Sounds to me like you just need some time in the saddle. The Wing is a heavy bike and the 1500's don't roll as well as the 1800's at slow speeds.
Sorry I can't help with the reading material. Heal quickly and ride soon and safe.
Strat

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello random rider, welcome to GWOF. maybe the layoff from riding is more the problem

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome from Texas--good luck with the shoulder surgery tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum, a good place to hang out.
On the Center stand issue. Try stopping the bike with the rear tire on a piece of wood maybe 6 inches wide and 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. The try putting the bike on the center stand, I'm sure you'll find it much easier.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey welcome neighbor! I have some experience replacing the cam, valves, springs and rockers in a CX-500. Sure was easy to adjust them tappets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

It's "butcher day +1" and I'm trying my hand at one-finger typing. The surgery went well and I've already noticed a decrease in the pain on this first day of recovery. Of course the drugs may be helping some :)

I have to cut it short today, but I'll be back when I can use both hands to type. As far as the top-heavy complaint, I agree with everyone: I just need to get a little more time in the saddle. And I find the idea of using a board to help with the center stand an interesting one; I'll check it out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re:
You won't ever find yourself bored with nothing to do. There are a lot of wineries in the mountains, art galleries and plenty of state parks to explore as well. log cabins
The mountains are beautiful, there is a lot to do and the people there are friendly and a delight to be around.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dont read; ride

I am an avid book reader but for the purpose of buying one to get tips on making you feel more comfortable riding...reading is not the answer my friend; riding is.

As to utilizing the center stand; keep at it. It's only tough for the first dozen times. After that, its a piece of cake.

Feel better.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Welcome to the site Random Ride. I don't live too far from you and everyone is correct, some time in the saddle and you will get used to it. I felt the same way when I got mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks; I'll be heading your way in 11 days; my wife if on the way today. We have a daughter in North Bend. He works for MS and she is an RN at UWMC. We love Washington, except for the weather and traffic. I hope to take a month and ride out on the bike, after I gain a little more confidence on it. We have ridden on my Calvacade and Venture (both gone now) quite a bit, but I need a little more experience on the Wing before my wife will get on board with me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts