Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New member to this board but not new to motorcycling. Been riding over 45 years and right now on the verge of getting a new touring bike. Currently riding a 2007 Ultra Classic but seriously looking at replacing it with either a GL1800 or a Vision or a Vic Cross Country. Not ready to make a decision and probably won't until after Americade but I'm looking forward to finding out as much as I can about the Wing before I make up my mind. I hope I can contribute to the board as well, I'm a personal trainer so if you have any questions along those lines I'd be more than happy to help.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Since this is a Goldwing site the answers you receive will probably at times be bias. :eek:

I had the opportunity to ride the Vision at Daytona last March. I found the engine and transmission made more noise than I cared for.

Just wondering, why would you want to dispose of the Ultra, I have a number of riding friends who love the H-D Ultra and have made no mention of trading their rides. :confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm considering switching bikes for a number of reasons. The motor on the Harley runs HOT! I've richened the mixture a little using the XIED's in the O2 sensors and that's helped but on the hottest days of the summer it gets really uncomfortable. I know there's a lot of things I can do to cool this down but I'm kinda agitated about having to spend a couple of thousand to correct a problem on a 23K bike. Also, this bike breaks fairing brackets a little too often. This is a subject that is constantly being discussed on the Harley forums, most people feel the MOCO's response to this issue sucks! Starting to hear a lot from owners about concerns of crank runout and cam tensioner failure. Although mine is a 2007 with the hydraulic tensioners it's starting to be a concern for me now that the bike has over 30K miles on it. Another reason is that I rode a Goldwing for the better part of a day on a scorching summer day and not only did the bike perform great, it didn't roast my legs off the way the HD did on the way to the dealer that day. It's not quite as comfortable as my Harley but I'm thinking it will only take a little time and a little money to correct that. The Victorys I've ridden on numerous occasions have also performed very well, been very comfortable and as near as I have seen have been very reliable over the years. Was also considering the new BMW but after sitting on it at the IMS show in New York I just don't think I could ever enjoy riding that bike 2 up which is how I ride a lot.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Welcome Elwood, for Central Washington. I rode many different bikes for about the last 50 years, including several Wings. Had an Ultra Classic up till about 4 years ago when I felt it was just too much bike for me and traded it for a VStar 1100 Classic. I Liked the VStar but have been spoiled by the full fairing and all the good stuff that comes with it. Stopped by the Honda store a couple fo weeks ago and There was a used Pearl White '93 1500 SE with only 30K for sale. I made a trade right them and boy it's nice to be back on a Wing. For some reason it does feel like too much bike. Enjoy and you will enjoy this forum and the nice folks here.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm considering switching bikes for a number of reasons. The motor on the Harley runs HOT! I've richened the mixture a little using the XIED's in the O2 sensors and that's helped but on the hottest days of the summer it gets really uncomfortable. I know there's a lot of things I can do to cool this down but I'm kinda agitated about having to spend a couple of thousand to correct a problem on a 23K bike. Also, this bike breaks fairing brackets a little too often. This is a subject that is constantly being discussed on the Harley forums, most people feel the MOCO's response to this issue sucks! Starting to hear a lot from owners about concerns of crank runout and cam tensioner failure. Although mine is a 2007 with the hydraulic tensioners it's starting to be a concern for me now that the bike has over 30K miles on it. Another reason is that I rode a Goldwing for the better part of a day on a scorching summer day and not only did the bike perform great, it didn't roast my legs off the way the HD did on the way to the dealer that day. It's not quite as comfortable as my Harley but I'm thinking it will only take a little time and a little money to correct that. The Victorys I've ridden on numerous occasions have also performed very well, been very comfortable and as near as I have seen have been very reliable over the years. Was also considering the new BMW but after sitting on it at the IMS show in New York I just don't think I could ever enjoy riding that bike 2 up which is how I ride a lot.
Thanks for the reply. I agree in part with most of your reply. The GL1200, 1500 and 1800's are an excellent machine.

As far as the H-D heat issue, one needs to remember that it is an air cooled engine. You will find the temp gauge on the wing will climb during the times you mention.

Broke one left fairing bracket, made the repair with an "L" bracket, no probems in that area after that.

Haven't really heard of any problems with the hydraulic tensions on the 07-up engines. From what I have read ever now and then some engine cranks have been found with runout above the .0015. My 06 was .0005, ran the OEM setup and traded the bike off at 61,000 with the oem cam chain shoes still in place.

Reference the purchase of a wing. I would suggest that you pay close attention to any of the 1800's from 01-03 and maybe some 04's. Just make sure all of the factory recalls have been completed.

Not much to advise you to be aware of on the 1500's. I have owned six, currently riding one with 93,500 miles. Runs almost identical to the day the speedometer showed 1.6 miles.

Replaced the alternator at 62,450. Also, replaced the timing belts at 74,500. This was a total waste of good money and time. Both belts appeared as new. Other services has been general maintanance only.

Again, welcome to the forum and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Nice folks and good info on here so feel free to participate and learn. Ride safe and enjoy the site..

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Haven't been up to Mass. and beyond since 2001, but my trip there left indelible pictures in my minds eye. I shall return.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello elwood, welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Welcome from the Tar Heel state :) I know what you are talking about when you say the motor gets hot. I also have a Heritage that I cant stand to ride in the hot summer days here in NC. The wing feels so much better.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome Elwood. Good folks and good info here. wings give off lots of heat in high temps too, but at least you won't have any oveheating engine woes. The Ultras do have some comfort advantages, leg/foot room on the 1800's is a bit tight for some riders, but I for one will never surrender mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts