Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 1986 Goldwing SE. It has not run
since 1996 and I am in the process of dismantling it with the idea of
restoring it to running condition. I have removed all fenders, saddle bags, fairings, etc to get down to the basics of seeing if I can get
it to run. It is a fuel injected 1200 model and the fuel tank is very
rusty inside. I will attempt to start it from a gas can but am concerned about using the old tank. Local dealer says $700.00 +
for new tank, if available. I was wondering about good used tanks
or aftermarket new ones. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Jeff. Welcome from Mark in Indiana. I would try ebay on that tank. you are right, do NOT try to start it from the tank.Good luck with your project

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. I'm sure someone on this forum can help you with your tank. Good luck with your project.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello jeff, welcome to GWOF. maybe trike lady has a line on a gas tank for you

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Looks like you have quite a project on your hands. But, when it's all done you should have one sweet ride. Good luck and post pics to keep us informed on the progress...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try these folks

I have recently purchased a 1986 Goldwing SE. It has not run
since 1996 and I am in the process of dismantling it with the idea of
restoring it to running condition. I have removed all fenders, saddle bags, fairings, etc to get down to the basics of seeing if I can get
it to run. It is a fuel injected 1200 model and the fuel tank is very
rusty inside. I will attempt to start it from a gas can but am concerned about using the old tank. Local dealer says $700.00 +
for new tank, if available. I was wondering about good used tanks
or aftermarket new ones. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi Jeff and welcome from Connecticut.. Sounds like you took on a project! I was hunting for parts for a Pal and found this site.. Maybe they could have some stuff..

http://www.motorcycle-parts.ca/motorcycle-parts/used-motorcycle-parts-canada-usa-uk.htm#order used motorcycle parts

Anyway, good luck with the project and welcome once again, Personally would love to see some pics of progress as its made !

Steve M

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome aboard Jeffry. Depending on how bad the tank is, if you can't find a replacement, there is a kit available to flush and recoat the inside of the tank. I know several guys who have done it with great success, but it does depend on the severity of the contamination.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all the responses - it makes me feel right at home. Appreciate very much. I
will make it a point to get some pics out. Jeff

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome from VT . I am in Waterbury, where are you??

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts