Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hauled a '81 naked Goldwing home this afternoon. This is my first Goldwing having owned and fixed up a couple of Suzuki GSs. Thought it was time to try something different.

This bike is going to be my winter project. It had run into the back of a car and the forks are bent and the top triple tree broken. The frame does not appear to be bent. The PO says the bike ran great before the accident and for some reason I believed him. I guess it had to be running in order to run into something, right?

My goal is a naked, clean looking Goldwing like this one.

Anyways I will be asking lots of questions so please be patient with me.

Brian

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Looks like you got a job ahead of you. We'll help where we can.:)

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Another Classic Wing headed for resurrection! Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I think you are right Ron. The PO had already bought new triple trees and a new radiator but no new fork legs. So I will have to try and find new legs. I see that Ebay has several sets up for sale.

I think before I spend any big money on it I will install the new rad and try and get the engine running. If it runs good then I will go ahead and make it road worthy.

Can you recommend a good source of parts for this old beast?

Brian

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Good luck on your project. Post some pics along the way...

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
I don't seem to fix anything with out big bucks. But it is worth it if you use it.
Welcome to the forum. Eric

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Welcome from Alabama in the USA

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello brian, welcome to GWOF and good luck with your project

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Welcome canuckxxx. Your thoughts on checking out the bikes ticker is a good one. Just be careful if you go ahead with the project and install new forks and triple clamp, there could be damage to the frame neck...check it closely. good luck and hope it's all good along the way.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Welcome from Mississippi. I like it when an old classic gets put back road worthy. Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I have made some progress since my first post. I sourced a set of forks and have installed them. The head bearing races and steering head part of the frame seemed undamage to my untrained eye and everything went together OK and the steering head turns nice and smooth so I am going to say it is good for now.

Still waiting for an ignition switch to arrive before I can try the electrics.

I took the damaged radiator out and this is what the cavity looks like.

Is this cross-member supposed to be straight? Has a slight bend in it.

BTW does an 18" front wheel and a 16" rear seem consistant with an '81 standard GW?

Comments please

Brian

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
I assume that while you're right there with full access you'll be checking the timing belts and tensioners? If the belts have never been replaced, it's way over time, regardless of mileage. Bad things happen when belts break or jump teeth because they are too loose!:eek:

·
Administrator
28,998 Posts
Well you are on your way. The fun is just beginning.

Good Luck on the project.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am starting to wonder what the bike actually is. I bought it as a 1981 GL1100 standard. But it has 18" front tire and 16" rear which differs from the specs I get when I do a google search. Apparently it should have 19" front, 17" rear.

The speedo is in MPH so I assume it is a US bike.

Is there a way of telling exactly what I have via the VIN?

Thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Check the 10th character in your VIN, it will be a letter: A='80, B='81, C='82 etc

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Welcome aboard Brian. you will find lots of help here and lots of good people.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Glad you got it figured Brian. The '83's were easy to distinguish, theuy had solid spoke wheels (Comcast) rather than the Comstar 2 piece spoke pattern of previous vintages.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.