Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I've actually been registered on the site for a bit but I don't think I introduced myself. I don't have a Goldwing yet, but am trying to find out about them to see if it would be a good bike for me and my son to do some touring on. I'm a 44 year old single dad (full time) and my son is 12.

I've been riding since I was around 7 or 8 and have had many bikes go through my assorted garages... Lol! I currently have a dual sport but I think it would be pretty cramped for two up on a long trip. I think a wing would be much more suited to the task. The tricky part is finding one that suits my needs... New is an option, but I don't want to shell out big bucks to find its not the bike for me and then have to deal with depreciation loss if I try to sell.

So, joined the forum here because it looks like a great place to gather info and try to figure out what I'm looking for. I'll be making good use of the search function and hope to make a decision by spring. Thanks for all the good info on the site, makes it a lot easier than buying a bike "cold".

Cheers!

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Welcome and you are at a very good place for all kinds of info, for me and all of the people that have been on my bike with me short or long road the wing is the best. It will take you two up from coast to coast, I have done it on the 1200 and I know have an 06 1800 that I just can't get enough of. Glad to see you here and how is the weather up in your haoe town.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and you are at a very good place for all kinds of info, for me and all of the people that have been on my bike with me short or long road the wing is the best. It will take you two up from coast to coast, I have done it on the 1200 and I know have an 06 1800 that I just can't get enough of. Glad to see you here and how is the weather up in your haoe town.:rolleyes:
Thank you for the welcome :)
I'm looking forward to finding out as much as I can about the Wings, awesome looking bikes! Our weather here will keep me drydocked for a while, we've still got about 3 feet of the white stuff, Lol!

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF.
Hope you find the wing for you. It's a Magical Thing.;)

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Are you looking for a new or an older used Wing? If you are looking for new, you might want to find a place close that rents them.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from another Keystoner.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
All of us will sing praises of the one we own but the truth is in the pudding. You've got to sit on these bikes and hopefully test ride before you buy. My first bike, an 85 Goldwing was too tall for me as I couldn't flat foot it at red lights and was uneasy with it. So I sold it and got a 95 Aspencade that sat much lower and was therefore more comfortable for me. While I was out looking to buy I also rode a Yamaha Venture, Honda Pacific Coast, Kawasaki Concours, another Honda GL 1200 and a Honda 750 Nighthawk. Riding these bikes helped me to narrow my choice down to the Wing. You won't get free rides from dealers but most sellers will let prospective buyers test ride. You may be in a small market area to do that as you may have to take a day and head over to a bigger city and check out some Craigslist listings.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA. Try it you'll like it.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome from just up the road (Hwy 2). Depending on what your favorite style of riding is, either the 1500 (roomier and more plush) or the 1800 (bit more sporting in nature) are good choices for you. In the used market, a decent '95 SE will go for mid $7k depending on odo and such, and a 2006 1800 for around $14-$15k. Keep us posted as to what you end up with.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes :)
I'll have to set up my subscription thing, I didn't even realize that my post had gotten all these responses! :cool:

Still researching but leaning towards an older 1500 to test the waters. The market is fairly high in these parts but there's a nice 91 SE on Kijiji that I like the looks of... ($7500 though!)

Looks like they hold their value well, so if I decided to get a new one (or heaven forbid, that they're not the bike for me) I would probably be able to get most of my money back out of a 1500.

Bad thing about winter shopping though is that it's pretty darn hard to test ride anything ;).

Again, thanks for the welcome, love the forum! :)

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from fogged-in Texas. I don't have the riding experience you have, but based on my somewhat limited riding history (VTX 1300, Burgman 650, Kymco 50--you may notice there is a trend here) I can't recommend the Wing highly enough. Beyond the capabilities of the bike, which are legion, is the camaraderie that comes along with the group that rides and loves them. You don't just gain a bike; you gain a family.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Hopefully we get another hook-up member Kerry. We could try doing an evening or Sunday lunch ride sometime. He's in Redwater, already talked with him via PM;). Maybe BearandLadybea and Buzzy and some others can join in too...:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the forum from another Albertan. Here's a couple of links that I found very helpful when I was shopping:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm

Good luck with the hunt! Where abouts are you in AB? I'm in Fort Sask, just outside Edm.

Kerry
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out better when I'm at a real computer :)
Fort Sask! Just a hop skip and jump from me... I've been working in the Fort for the past 25 years :D

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out better when I'm at a real computer :)
Fort Sask! Just a hop skip and jump from me... I've been working in the Fort for the past 25 years :D

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Motorcycle.com Free App
Ha! Small world. 22yrs for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
using the Motorcycle. com app.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Hi X and welcome to the GWOF!

I'm sure your fellow Albertan, our admin Budoka, would let you borrow his Wing for a few days to confirm your interest!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.