Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i just joined the GW owners though i'm in the process of looking for a bike. My situation is now that my three daughters are in late teens, it's my turn to get back into bikes. Had many cruisers before kids and recently picked up a 1972 Honda CB 500 which i spent the winter cleaning up and rebuilding a few things, Pretty handy with a wrench and I'm trying to determine what year(s) Goldwings would be a good buy? Since two daughters are in college, i have limited funds so any newer bike is out. Can anyone give me year bikes to look for and any years to stay away from? Thanks---Heres a pic of the CB 500----1397 original miles!

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You may want to look into either a GL1500 or GL1800.
The alternator on the GL1500 is a weak link and most owners have upgraded to a Compufire high out put model. The GL1500 comes in three models Interstate, Aspencade and SE.
01-04 1800's had frame weld issues.
Here's a thread that would be a great help to you: http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10437
Searching for the right bike takes time and you'll find the right one for you.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Welcome from Seattle.

Buying a used wing can be the cheapest part of the deal, if the bike has been sitting for awhile and is not running. If you buy anything older than a 1500, you are buying something that has a diminishing supply of parts available.

You mentioned limited funds. Look at any 1500 that has recently been used, has reasonable tires on it and runs good. There are quite a few used wings out there, some for sale now, some for sale in the near future. Don't get stuck with one that has been down...... the plastics are very expensive.

The interstate model of the 1500 does not have reverse, built in air compressor, cruise control or anything digital and just an AM/FM radio. They come with a lower price tag and have the same engine, transmission, rear end and performance than the other models. If you shop for an Interstate, you could be saving some money.

A carburetor rebuild by a shop would be in the $800 - $1000 range.

A rear tire is $225 and it will cost another $100 to have it mounted.

An alternator upgrade to a Compufire can be done by yourself but the purchase price is $400.

If the timing belts have not been done, that would run about $500 at a shop or you could do it yourself for $75.

A gel battery for the wing is $150.

These things add up in a hurry and easy to over look.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello strapman, welcome to GWOF and good luck with your search for a goldwing

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Strapman, what a gorgeous CB 500, very nice. If I was as talented as you with a wrench I probably wouldn't be shy about tackling any of the older Wings. If your finances are limited you can probably get an 1100 or 1200 barn find for less that 2k and sometimes less than 1k. If you like the look of the older vintage Wings there's lots out there for sale. Some folks don't like the looks of the 1500 because it's covered with plastic and is a little harder getting access for repair. I've had both the 1200 and now have a 1500. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic and wanted a Goldwing I didn't have to wrench on and just change oil and tires. You can sometimes find a 1500 fixer upper for about 3k. My first 1200 cost 1900 and only had to replace tire to get it rideable but would have needed new exhaust, timing belts etc for another 2k. My 1500 cost me 3500 and put 2k into. My rationale was that I'd probably need to spend about 2k on anything I bought and I preferred ending up with a Wing that was 17 years old with 25k miles rather than one that was 27 years old with 100k miles. I sold my 1200 for 2200 and got my 1500 for 3500 and so for another 1300 got a Wing that is 10 years newer, has 75k less miles, is a one owner bike in good condition. I'm happy with my choice and now have a Wing that I can have confidence in to ride anywhere in the continental US.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search for Wing. Lots of good used Wings out there with a lot of miles left in them. As some have said, I would look for a 1988 on up Wing. The GL1500 and 1800's are in plentyful supply and availability if parts is better than earlier year Wings.

Oh, and nice looking CB. They were/are great bikes...

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. First I would like to say what a great bike you already have. Best of luck with the finding of an old wing. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Thanks Dan...great info, appreciate the time. I am thinking an older Wing--the Vintage stuff is what i really like, decent miles, not worried about "wrenching" to get her back in shape. I know my timing sucks as I'd probably get some better deals at end of season. I'm just wondering if there are certain years to stay away from? I know that many times mfrs had made changes (in certain model years) or overlooked incidentals that dampened reliability or rideability. Also, was looking for info on major service repairs that are reccomended based on mileage...seal, gaskets, timing, water pumps etc. So i know what i should/could expect. The forum is great and alot of help for us newbies!!!
Others may chime in here too with their recommendations but the one thing I heard the most about the 1200's was the stator. That the connectors need to be cutoff (source of moisture/corrosion/heat) and to hardwire and shrink wrap. The first year for fuel injection was 85 on the LTD which I had but had no problem but some did. Rusted exhaust systems and rusted frames are also issues. Like all older bikes, timing belts, fork seals, brakes, cables etc need looking at.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Thanks Dan...great info, appreciate the time. I am thinking an older Wing--the Vintage stuff is what i really like, decent miles, not worried about "wrenching" to get her back in shape. I know my timing sucks as I'd probably get some better deals at end of season. I'm just wondering if there are certain years to stay away from? I know that many times mfrs had made changes (in certain model years) or overlooked incidentals that dampened reliability or rideability. Also, was looking for info on major service repairs that are reccomended based on mileage...seal, gaskets, timing, water pumps etc. So i know what i should/could expect. The forum is great and alot of help for us newbies!!!
I had a friend who was moving and he gave me a running 78 Wing with matching saddlebags and fairing. Clear title and all. I already had my good running clean 1500 in the stable. He sold his house and was moving to Arizona and just didn't want to deal with it.

I hope you find a great bike that only needs a new rider and enjoy the summer! Good luck with your search.

The bike was a very nice and clean looking bike but it just needed too much vs the end value of the bike. It needed a battery, tires, fluids, belts and carbs rebuilt.

I ended up selling it to a mechanic guy like yourself who could do most of the work and was very experienced at it bringing these bikes back to life for $300. After we loaded up the bike and he was ready to leave, I asked him if I sold it too cheap. He said he would have walked away at $500. He said there are quite a few of these neglected bikes around the country.

Last week there was a naked 78 on Craigslist that had been stored inside, ran well, maintenance records available and newer tires and a custom seat for $1000. Someone got a good deal on a nice bike.

If you have good patience, and put your ear close to the ground, there will be one pop up that is in excellent condition, and ready for the road.

You are still gonna have to work on them as time goes by..... I am just saying that I would not buy someone else's neglected bike without full knowledge of the costs.

I bought my 94 Interstate with 27,500 miles on it for $3500. I replaced the fluids and tires and I now have 46,000 and the only thing I have done besides wearing out tires is a new gel battery and a few personal additions.

For personal preferences, I added a Corbin Seat, luggage inserts, trunk and saddlebag organizers, rack bag, ram mounts for gps and phone, rack mounted flag pole, two coffee cup holders, trailer hitch and trailer.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Strapman, I don't know where you are located, I have a couple older Wings for sale, a 1200 and a 1500. There are also others in the classified section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.