Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new member here.

Looking at a 2005 Goldwing trike/trailer combo that someone in the neighborhood has. Definitely a bike I would love and (surprisingly) in my price range but wasn't really sure what I was getting into here so wanted to lean on some GW vets to help point me in the right direction.

A bit of background, my prior bike experience were with cruisers in the 800-1800cc range which is what I was looking for when I came across this GW (mainly due to price). The price is under $4k. So now to the questions...

1. What is considered high mileage on a Wing? I understand that Goldwings are not the same as most "other bikes" where 30-40k is high mileage. Is there a mileage threshold that I need to really worry about?

2. What type of repair factors would I be looking at on a higher mileage bike like this is likely to be at that price? Again, based on your experiences with GW's.

3. I did call my local Honda dealer service dept and they advised that they don't work on the backend of the bike due to the conversion. There are a few trike shops in the local region that I know of so that shouldn't be an issue. Anything else of importance that I should be aware of or consider before looking further at this bike?

I do not know the mileage but have an e-mail off to the owner. The photo looks good, but I've also asked about wrecks or drops.

Sorry for the vagueness but finding this bike really caught me offguard as it wasn't even on my radar but I knew you guys are the experts so figured it was a good place to start seeking info.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

The GoldWing is known to go up to 300K miles. The trike kit may not last as long. There aren't any issues, that I'm aware of, that need to be looked at on a 2005 that has been triked.

The basics will need to be looked at, such as brakes, fork seals and tires.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
This may not answer all of your questions but it a worthwhile video on "Tips on Buying a Used Honda Goldwing GL1800."
I hope everything works out for you. Welcome to the Goldwing Owners Forums.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
All I can say is that if you found a 2005 GL1800 Gold Wing already triked with a trailer for under $4,000 buy it NOW!!! As long as it is under 200,000 miles and has not been wrecked BUY IT AND BUY IT NOW OR I WILL!!!
The owner is offering it WAY,WAY under the value.
Even if you bought it to flip you could make THOUSANDS IN PROFIT.

Better not tell me where in Louisiana you are because I could head there right now!! LOL

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
Hey all, new member here.

Looking at a 2005 Goldwing trike/trailer combo that someone in the neighborhood has. The price is under $4k. .
My first question would be :eek:"A 2005 Goldwing Trike for under $4,000". :eek: Never happen unless you are getting the deal of the century... Something does not sound right...:confused:

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I think I have a good mechanic look it over. Sounds like way to good of a deal.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This has to be a scam. a 2005 alone is worth more than $4,000. With trike conversion costing $10,00 or so, and a trailer? You are being scammed. Do not send the money, insist on paying when you pick it up. Your are being ripped.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
SCAM!!!! SCAM!!! SCAM!!! Demand to see the bike and title before paying a dime. I came across something similar myself. I emailed the guy for more details and got an answer. Then since he was only about 50 miles away according to the listing. I emailed for a date and time to bring him cash. Never got a response. Not a surprise.

Safe bet, in my case at least, the seller was some where in Africa hoping I would pay the auction deposit.

Again, don't pay anything till you see the bike and paperwork.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking for a trike for months mostly on craigs and have seen these ads for $4000 for a trike and it's a scam don't waste your time emailing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I agree 100% with the above posts regarding a scam! There's no way a wing in decent shape even without a trike conversion would sell for $4,000.00. Buyer beware!!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds like a scam. A 2005 trike should still command a price of $20k or more, unless a couple is getting divorced and the wife is selling it to spite him. Maybe he passed away and she has no idea of it's worth. Both of those ideas are highly unlikely, divorce at that age, your stuck with each other at that point. Her not knowing what it's worth, he must have been real good at fibbing on what he spent and she believed it.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Do your homework and search everything you can imagine about it. Knowledge is power.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Scam Mobile -

If the deal was legit the bike would be long gone. This can only be a serious misprint on the selling price, year of the bike or one of those Nigerian "Trust me - Send me the money and I'll ship you the bike" scams.

Watch out for this one, Michael :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm on side with all the "be careful" posts,but, has anyone noticed the original poster has not answered at all?
Maybe "HE" is a scammer looking to hone his skills? This info we are all posting..could be helping someone to be a better crook! Maybe I've been around the block one too many times...but these days not much surprises me!:D
Or maybe I need another coffee....:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hate to resurrect my first post. Get more coffee Blade Runner...lol. I was reading the replies and doing homework, the deal back then did turn out to be a scam and I steered clear of it. Stayed in the Honda family though. Got a Valk and have enjoyed her immensely but got my "wings" finally with an 06 today. I pick it up tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.