Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, New to the site and new to Wings. Just purchased my first one 2 months ago (a present to myself for being in the middle east for 2 years) I have been riding various bikes for 30 years, last was a 2000 Nomad 1500. Here's my problem. When I got my Wing it was the smoothest ride I have had in a long time, then around 2000 miles I started to pick up a vibration at 60-80 mph. I was on a trip and I then noticed a nasty wobble at 35-45 coasting (with my hands on the bars) Honda says have a good day that is normal. My question is if it was normal why didn't it do it the first 2000miles but is doing it now. Dunlop had Honda check the balance and run out on the front tire (OK). Has anyone had any real sucess getting a dealer to stand behind their bike? I realy don't want to dump a grand into my new bike to fix something that shouldn't be wrong to begin with.:eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome to the club my friend. I also have an 09 wing with the exact front wheel wobble. In checking with a trusted GL1800 trike dealer friend of mine, he informed me that this is NORMAL on the late model Gl1800's. Nothing mechanical known to Honda dealers can fix this problem. As I understand from my trike buddy, there is a lawsuit in the works against Honda for this problem. Keep your bucks in your pocket and standby. There may be a factory rercall in the near future. Lets hope so!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It is not normal but some GL 1800's do have it, First thing is check the front tire air pressure, run about 38 to 40 in it and 40 to 42 in the rear. Some GL 1800 have a wobble on deceleration at about 40 down to 30 MPH but usually noticeable when your hands are off the bars. You wouldn't settle for this in a new car would you, so why settle for it on a new motorcycle? Call Honda customer service in Gardena Ca. 866-784-1870. It can also come from a back wheel out of balance. Also make a report to the NHTSA about the problem it is not normal!! Some bikes have it but as said before not on acceleration. Replacing the head bearings with tappered bearings will solve the problem. It ususlly goes away with new tires for awhile. Some dealers have been know to replace the tires under warranty. You might also try another dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the words of comfort. It just ticks me off that Bike is so good other than the Wobble and tire wear.:mad:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Is your front tire starting to cup? That also will cause some of it. Also a loose steering head bearing will cause it, did your dealer re torque it? I had it on my but on decelleration only , but some of my friends with 01's 02's and 03's say they don't have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Joe,
I appreciate the input. 41 psi front and rear (even though manual advises 36 front) The Dyna Beads according to my dealer will Void my warranty on the Tire Pressure monitoring system. But I am considering them as a quick fix alternate try. The tire was balanced and was only off about 1/2 ounce. My disappointment is Honda not fessing up about the problem. They just keep telling me it is normal. Had the Honda factory rep out yesterday and he told me the same thing. So it looks like I will contact NHTSA and Honda and at least get this on record with them. If time and finances allow I will probably do some work this winter on the Beast and see if I can get it under control without spending a fortune (just did that by buying the Bike). So far it appears that no one has been injured because of this so at least safety (at this point) isn't the major concern.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
You might want to look into this product too. Have seen reviews by folks on another board who swear by it. They don't specifically mention M/C's but I know they do make them for the GL1800. Have seen their ad in WingWorld.

WWW.CENTRAMATIC.COM

Here is additional link from Wingstuff:

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det...nt/29204_Centramatic_GL1800_Wheel_Balancers/#

I don't have a problem like yours with my 09 Wing and I hope I never do. If I do have that problem I'll probably use this product. Good luck, ride safe and enjoy the road...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, New to the site and new to Wings. Just purchased my first one 2 months ago (a present to myself for being in the middle east for 2 years) I have been riding various bikes for 30 years, last was a 2000 Nomad 1500. Here's my problem. When I got my Wing it was the smoothest ride I have had in a long time, then around 2000 miles I started to pick up a vibration at 60-80 mph. I was on a trip and I then noticed a nasty wobble at 35-45 coasting (with my hands on the bars) Honda says have a good day that is normal. My question is if it was normal why didn't it do it the first 2000miles but is doing it now. Dunlop had Honda check the balance and run out on the front tire (OK). Has anyone had any real sucess getting a dealer to stand behind their bike? I realy don't want to dump a grand into my new bike to fix something that shouldn't be wrong to begin with.:eek:
Hi I have had the same poblem but mine is a trike,I fitted a steering damper purchased it at www.wingsuff.com no more woobles regards rasher

1 - 10 of 10 Posts