Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to the group.
I have been lurking for a little while now and thought I would say "Hello".

I do not own a motorcycle at the moment ,but I am in what I call the research phase of a decision. The last time I was on a motorcycle of any type was in 1986 when I borrowed a friends Honda Nighthawk to make a quick trip to the base clinic in Goose Creek, SC for a security check up before return to duty.

I have recently turned 42, and have 10 years to go until retirement and have one child out of the house and the 2nd will be gone it 2 years. I have lots of the country that I want to see and have decided that I want to do it on a Gold Wing. My father-in-law has owned 6 wings over the years, but because of medical reasons no longer rides or owns a Wing.

So I have joined the forum in an effort to educated myself on as much about Gold Wings as possible to allow me to make an informed decision when I decide it is time to pull the trigger on my future endeavors.

So for the time being I will most likely slink back into the shadows of the lurker, and continue to read as much as possible about the bikes, options and maintenance.

So from a current non-rider, thanks for having a informative and friendly place to go and learn about all things dealing with a wonderful bike.

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Dennis keep your eyes & ears opened & there will be lots to learn. Try to get yourself some more seat time prior to buying Wing. I like Nighthawks for an example for a quick ride. In the meantime here is a good start to learn some things about wings.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to lurk all you want. Lots of info and good folks on here. Get some saddle time to refresh yourself with a bike. You might even want to take the Motorcycle Safty Training class if there is one offered in your area. Great way to get back your skills and your license at the same time. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and link.

I have no intentions of just going out and getting a Wing as my first bike. I am actually looking at getting a "used" VTX 1300, set up as a touring bike, this summer and using it as my education bike for about 2 years and then getting the Wing. I want to be proficient in my riding and comfortable in my own abilities on the bike before I expose my wife to 2 up riding. We both have a lot to learn but as the pilot I have a lot more things to do before she is ready to ride with me.

As my friends will tell you I am very methodical in my approach to any endeavor that I sit out on. With research and education taking vast amounts of time before I make informed decisions and then under take training until I am comfortable with my skills and ability.

So while I am in the early phase of research, I always welcome comments and suggestions that I can apply in the future.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Cause88, I joined this forum in June of this year and I have learned so much about Wings and riding them. Very knowledgable people here. If you have a problem or issue, I'm positive someone here at this forum can help. Good luck, hope you get your ride soon. Lyndon

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good thinking Cause88. You can never learn too much about any machine before you lay down the green on one. Ditto on the MSF course. They can show you things first hand that you might never learn on your own, plus you end up with a license. A VTX1300T isn't a bad choice of a bike, but there are better rides to 'cut your teeth' on. A smaller displacement lighter more maneuverable machine is best. After you master that, then move up to a machine better suited to having someone on the plillion. There are things on the streets that can and will hurt you (we call 'em cagers) and you can't know what they're doing 'cause half of them don't know themselves. Learning to survive the mean streets by yourself is much better than subjecting your significant other to all the crazies as well. Two up riding is a whole new gig again. Best to be well prepared. Best wishes to you, and stick around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts