Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Item Tried

16K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  fossil92 
#1 ·
So the little lady & I just got back from our weekend trip to the Wellsboro area with our friends. I had purchased a trailer hitch, a cooler rack & a TBag for the rack. We decided to try it this weekend so that we would know if there were any changes to be made or issues to deal with. I am happy to report that all worked well & we'll be set for the big trip. I want to post some pics of it when I get a chance but right now everthing is dirty & wet. We had to ride in the rain yesterday & a bit today. Once I get things cleaned up I'll take a few shots for you guys to check out.

#3 ·
Thank you Fossil for thinking of us. The last thing we would want to see is a "dirty" Wing.. If I wanted to see that I would go out to my own garage....LOL... Glad you had a good time, sorry you got wet.. Ride safe my friend..

Reactions: JKWinger
#5 ·
Okay guys got the bike cleaned up & hung the rack & the bag back on. Here are some shots.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

#8 ·
... Howdy ... I like it ... What kind of weight limits are on the hitch / rack ?? ... Happy trails ...
Ron, Paperwork says 35lbs for the rack assembly. Haven't talked to you in a while hope everything is well. I think this setup is going to work just fine for our trip. Ride safe.

#9 ·
This is a great trip you are taking us on foss.
The pleasure is mine Chopin. I am getting real anxious now. Yesterday the little lady put in her request slip for the time off she'll need. C'MON JUNE!!!

#11 · (Edited)
Looks good Bill, nice and sleek, won't interfere with tail lights, one question what about your license plate? I know the Illinois state police would'nt like it concealed.(you've probably already thought of that)
Yeah Matt, I have, not sure yet what I'm doing there. I may just go & if I get stopped deal with it then. If you look at the backside pic, I took it close to the ground. You actually can see the plate a bit when sitting in a vehicle. Thanks for your input though. I need someone watching out for me.:D:D:D

Thanks for the kind words Smutley.

#18 ·
I saw a holder that also had LED lights on it that attaches to that rack or one that looks just like it. It allows you to move your plate to the back of the rack so LEO won't hassle you.

I was thinking of getting that same rack. Here in OreYgun I would get pulled over in a heart beat along with a $200 ticket.

The LEO's out here are just revenuers. They sit on their bikes in an area that has flags that say "Work Zone" at 10:30 at night when there isn't anyone working and pop you for $285.00 for going over 25 mph. Ask me how I know. :crying:

#14 ·
I have one of those....probably not as nice as the Fossil's. Yet it did haul near 60lbs (not recommended) from Alabama to West Virginia.

Attachments

#15 ·
Keep in mind guys that I had/have a 1500 so the hitches will be different but to answer your questions this was my combination.

http://wingstuff.com/products/3362-uni-frame-trailer-hitch?from_search=1

http://wingstuff.com/products/20314-universal-mounting-trailer-hitch-rack?from_search=1

http://wingstuff.com/products/3904-t-bag-driver-backrest-style-luggage-bag?context=t_bags

I really like the rack, when you get to the hotel at night just pull two pins & take the whole rack & bag into the room. Also you can see by the pictures the bag fits perfectly on the rack.

#16 ·
I like that adaptation more than a trailer. An extra bag would allow some extra clothes and less laundrymart stops. Or possibly a bag and smaller cooler for lunch on the side on of road/vista.

#17 ·
Exactly why we did that. We are not trailer people either, just more room than you really need pulling one of them.

Wife & I did 29 days & over 9K in 2010 X-Country trip, never needing more room.

#19 ·
GetAway, ask a local leo what would be the ruling. Show him a photo so he understands your concern. I already had mine mounted when I asked a state cop about it. He said he didn't see any problem and would be surprised if I ever got stopped. How many times do you see an SUV using these racks? And how well can you see a pick-up's plate when its pulling a boat or camping trailer. If the cops are gonna stop you, they will have to stop all the others.

Fossil, has it really been 5 years since you bought that?

#20 ·
There's a law on the books that you can not obstruct the view of your license plates. You are not allowed to put a tinted plastic cover over the plate. It's a $250 to $450 fine.

If the leo wanted to he could ticket that suv that has the plate covered. If you're towing a boat you had better have that trailer's tag up to date. As long as they can see a plate you're good to go.

Here's another law.. If you have fog/driving lights, you must shut them off when a vehicle approaching you is 500 feet from you no matter if it is foggy or raining/snowing. I use to work the grave yard shift and I would travel 36 miles to work and 36 miles from work. Half of these miles were on country roads. Farm land and city streets. The other half was freeway. Ask me how I know about the fog/driving lights and having a tinted plastic cover over my front plate on a smart car.

Come to OreYGun, drive around the Portland area. Bring your wallet!!

#23 ·
Ditto George. Never been an issue for us either. Yes the "law" exists, but it's largely ignored I reckon. Shoot, for half the year the plate on my pickup is unreadable due to snow and ice. "Law" states that the plate is to be free of obstruction and visible at all times but I say to H. E. double hockey sticks with them when it's -30 and colder.

Reactions: George Henderson
#27 ·
I understand what everyone is saying that they don't get hassled at all. I was just telling how things are here in the Portland Oregon and metro area are and just tried to give a heads up if you're going to cruise in this area. Oregon is really beautiful, from the coast to the deserts that we have but the LEO's are after your wallet.

#24 ·
Heck, I rode my bike through a good portion of North Dakota and Montana without even a plate on it! I passed one Montana state trouper sitting on the shoulder and he didn't even give me a second look.

#28 · (Edited)
I bolted a Rivco hitch with a cooler rack on last winter.I rode across 26 states incl Oregon this summer. Although I was a little concerned about getting pinched,especially in states like Colorado where the toll booths snap a pic. of your plate and mail you the bill. Rivco makes an LED light bar /lic. plate mount but it takes a 5 wire harness instead of the 4 wire so I didn't get it.I expect I will this winter

Attachments

Reactions: A. Ramon
#32 ·
It does not bounce much that I know of, you would have to ask one of our GWOF friends that have followed us when we had it on. @Two Wheel Wing , @budoka , @George Henderson to name a few. Not sure if we ever had it on when my mate @Eric was behind us or not, or @crownfire . I'm sur I'm forgetting someone.

Anyway, I do not even know it's back there when we are traveling, which is something you have to keep in mind so as to not bottom out in entrances and driveways. Also when backing up so not to crush it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.