Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

We just put in our order last evening for a new Goldwing. We should get it laster this week. I took a demonstrator for a short ride yesterday and it was quite nice but it will take a bit to get used to handling it at stop signs, etc. (Any recommendations besides "practice"?)

My wife and I are looking forward to it, especially once I get enough experience on it for her to ride along.

I had a Honda CB-750K from '85-02. Sold it when I retired and started riding horses (motorcycles are safer than horses in my personal experience!). We got the itch to get back into motorcycles. I picked up a '92 Nighthawk to get started with rather than jumping in to the big bike right away. That 53 mpg is nice, LOL.

We are hoping to do some day trips and possibly haul the GW behind our motorhome for long trips and use it for local exploring. We might do some multi day trips with the GW, we will have to see. I have never been comfortable riding in the rain, that's an issue for longer trips.

What perked my interest was seeing an ad for a used ST1300. Sharp looking bike but more power and speed than I want and my wife wanted the comfort of the GW. She wants to be able to fall asleep back there :( Why travel if you're going to sleep!

We live in a rural area with lots of nice low traffic roads to ride. Some of the roads though probably are more suited to a sport bike! I may end up leaving them to the Nighthawk. Literally, I've heard that the one nearby state route (Ohio 763) is used by Ford as a test track for suspensions, it's so bad!

Ken

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Ken and congrats on your new wing.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF ken and congrats on the new wing

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing and welcome to the forum from your neighbor to the east. Enjoy your new ride and ride safe...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome from Alberta Ken. Don't worry about those roads, your new Wing is just a 900# sport bike!:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello all.

We just put in our order last evening for a new Goldwing. We should get it laster this week. I took a demonstrator for a short ride yesterday and it was quite nice but it will take a bit to get used to handling it at stop signs, etc. (Any recommendations besides "practice"?)

My wife and I are looking forward to it, especially once I get enough experience on it for her to ride along.

I had a Honda CB-750K from '85-02. Sold it when I retired and started riding horses (motorcycles are safer than horses in my personal experience!). We got the itch to get back into motorcycles. I picked up a '92 Nighthawk to get started with rather than jumping in to the big bike right away. That 53 mpg is nice, LOL.

We are hoping to do some day trips and possibly haul the GW behind our motorhome for long trips and use it for local exploring. We might do some multi day trips with the GW, we will have to see. I have never been comfortable riding in the rain, that's an issue for longer trips.

What perked my interest was seeing an ad for a used ST1300. Sharp looking bike but more power and speed than I want and my wife wanted the comfort of the GW. She wants to be able to fall asleep back there :( Why travel if you're going to sleep!

We live in a rural area with lots of nice low traffic roads to ride. Some of the roads though probably are more suited to a sport bike! I may end up leaving them to the Nighthawk. Literally, I've heard that the one nearby state route (Ohio 763) is used by Ford as a test track for suspensions, it's so bad!

Ken
ken, where in southern ohio do you live? and where did you put your order in for a new wing? i can get you a better deal if you want to wait a little while in order to change locations. are you anywhere around cincinnati? i do all my busines at HONDA OF RARDEN, which is a little dealer east of cinn. they are the nicest people around and will give you one heck of a deal when i go in with you!!! ive bought or sold 8 bikes for them, and i keep bringing new buyers to them so they treat me pretty good when i go there. let me know where and when, and maybe we can get together, and ill take you there!!! keep on winginit rick

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick,

Thanks. I forgot about Rarden, or might have blinked when I went through there last time, LOL.

I'm just across the river from Maysville, Ky and that's where I'm getting the bike from. They seem pretty decent. I might have saved a bit shopping around more but I do like to support local dealers if they are decent (unlike the last Honda dealer I bought from in 1985.)

To the rest who have welcomed me, thank you!

Ken

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome from Ontario Canada Ken. Congrats on your new Wing. Your wife will love it. They're heavy beasts as you know. There are 2 types of riders...those that have laid them down and those that will. This usually (and hopefully) happens at slow speeds or dead stops. Goggle "how to pick up a GoldWing". I recommend learning the technique, as I did after dislocating both arms :).
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from Ontario Canada Ken. Congrats on your new Wing. Your wife will love it. They're heavy beasts as you know. There are 2 types of riders...those that have laid them down and those that will. This usually (and hopefully) happens at slow speeds or dead stops. Goggle "how to pick up a GoldWing". I recommend learning the technique, as I did after dislocating both arms :).
Ride safe,
Strat
Gee, thanks :( I don't even have it yet and you are giving me advice on how to pick it up from a fumble:eek: But you are right and I appreciate the advice, I will look it up.

Hopefully if it ever happens, it will be at home and I can use the tractor to lift it up!:)

IIRC, I only had my CB-750K go over twice (while stopped). That was heavy enough! Oh, the carb leaked gas when it was on it's side, giving more emphasis to "hurry up!" LOL

Ken

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Ken, welcome from the Tar Heel state. Hope you enjoy that new wing once you get. I'm sure you will :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
The first time I had my Wing out this spring, I laid it down from a dead stop in front of a crowd. Everyone ran over to help me lift 'er, but they can do more damage than good, as it usually turns into "armstrong" rather than technique.
I've never seen a Wing being towed by a motorhome but I think the Wing could tow the motorhome. :)
Happy trails,
Strat

·
Registered
60 Posts
welcome from Oregon. Enjoy your new wing and ride safe. Riding in the rain is a piece of cake on the wing- I know because it has rained on me every day Ive ridden since I got it. Enjoy!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
welcome from Oregon. Enjoy your new wing and ride safe. Riding in the rain is a piece of cake on the wing- I know because it has rained on me every day Ive ridden since I got it. Enjoy!
Oh gosh, your weather is worse than ours! It only rains every other day here, but often real gully washers.

I know I'm paranoid about riding in the rain. Afraid of sliding at a stop or curve. What's your secret besides "just relax"?

Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ken, you nailed it - just relax and enjoy the ride. Avoid hard braking , stay away from the center and oily spots especially if it hasn't rained in awhile LOL. The wing is almost fun to ride in the rain- I can't believe I just said that . Over the years it seems like I have spent half my time riding in the rain- just get comfortable with - now snow , I'll leave that to someone else. Ride safe

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim,

Snow? No way! :eek: Roads around here are scary with snow and ice (narrow, curvy, no shoulder with ten foot dropoffs) even in a 4wd truck or Jeep.

I'll try to give the GW a chance in rain though. At the rate we are going, it will be needed I'm sure.

Thanks,

Ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts