Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Home Built Aluminum Trailer

6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  earthpig 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm a newbie here and would like to introduce myself. My name is David and I live in so. Nevada. I recently pick up a very clean 86 GL1200 and decided to build a trailer for it. Having many years experience as a custom fabricator I went for the aluminum and stainless steel approach. It is 4' long and 28'' wide on the box. Made from .125 alum. and is all tig welded. The draw bar is 304 polished stainless steel with a custom swivel hitch using a brass bushing. All lights are LED as well ass the cargo light inside. The lid is made from .125 tredbrite and has a luggage rack built from chromoly aero strut as is the front cooler rack. It weighs about 110 lbs. and tows very well. I got the idea from reading threads on this site and it has paid off. My wife and I just returned from a 1100 mile trip and the extra room make a big difference. We also do our shopping and the looks you get loading an entire shopping cart into it with a 50 lb. bag of dog food on top. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome David from NC.

I do some projects in my garage as well and pretty comfortable welding steel. I am envious that others know how to weld aluminum. Not an easy thing to master. Congrats on the trailer, it looks awesome.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum from Pa and congrats on your 86 Wing. You did a great job on the trailer. You may get some calls from guys wanting one like it. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

#7 ·
Welcome ! Great to have a fabricator on board. No joke earth, as I'm typing this the banner ad above is advertising Aluma Mct Trailer for Motorcycle. I click on the ad and eventually end up on E-bay . Someone has one for sale for $1,750.00 and except for the wheels it looks like a copy of yours.

Attachments

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I have been blessed with this talent but it took a lot of years to get there. Some of the crap I built 30 years ago looked pretty scary :eek: I have already built two more for others, so if someone is in need of help let me know. Here's a few more pics.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Hey Rex, it really is a way to use your bike to a larger capacity. I have it on my bike all the time just running around town. I build custom fuel tanks also and I have delivered two out of state on top of the trailer. The fuel savings is a good reason to ride the bike as well as the main one, it's just fun. I cleaned out the trailer today and took some pics on the bike. Here they are.

Attachments

#21 ·
Boy, ain't that the truth. I was to cheep to hire a welder some 30 years ago when I needed a hitch welded on a jeep. The guy wanted $50 bucks to make two 2'' welds. He told me the if I didn't want to pay that much, go buy a welder and do it yourself. So I did and never looked back. But what a learning curve I've had. Things have improved over the years and I don't get picked on for over building anymore. Today I just give away those 2'' welds all day long. For BEER of course...:D earthpig...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.