Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday (June 23rd) I picked up a 1981 Goldwing 1100 Interstate. Condition is decent, but far from ideal. I really enjoyed the ride home on it. Wow she's smooth, out of the wind, comfortable seat and position for me, etc. Think I'm gonna like this bike.
Most of the last twenty years I've been on either an 81 Kawasaki LTD1000 (with front fairing) or a 78 KZ650 (naked bike). The last Honda I owned was a 1972 SL100 (my first street bike when I was a teenager).
I was really impressed with finding goldwingdocs.com. But, when I started looking around for parts, so far, I'm not as happy. Seems I could find a lot more NOS parts for the kawasaki's than the Honda. But, that may just be because I haven't been looking for as long as the years of acquiring Kawasaki parts resources. Also, the Goldwings, I think, are more popular so the NOS parts resources dry up quicker.
Anyway, I need to walk through this bike to make sure all is as it should and needs to be. When you get a used bike you can never be certain of it's previous care, upkeep and abuse. Such things as grease in the wheel bearings, clean brake fluid, etc.
Wanted to know if there's anything specific I should check on that the experience of others suggests is important. ie., should I pop the timing cover off to look at the condition on the timing belts?
Okay, I'm getting verbose here.
Hope all are having a wonderful day!
Terry!
PS. I do all my own maintenance work, the only exception being machine shop work that requires very expensive machines.

·
Registered
690 Posts
... Howdy ... You Are On The Right Track Certinly Check The Belts I Would Suggest If There Is Over 50 K. On The Machine To Change The Belts - Check All Fluid Levels And Change As Necessary ... Happy Trails ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts