Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all...

I've been riding motorcycles for a year now. From the very beginning, my then girlfriend (now fiancee), had always urged me to purchase a Goldwing. But the practical side of me thought it best to start small. I began with a 250 rebel and very quickly caught the motorcycle fever. Within 3 months I had sold the rebel, and purchased a VT1100 shadow. That was somewhat of a jump, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. We were able to take short trips together, but because of the limited comfort, especially for the passenger, our double riding was generally limited to only 30 to 45 minutes at a time. All the while, she was still incessant on purchasing a Goldwing. Well, on June 12, 2010, I finally listened and purchased a '93 GL1500se loaded with all of the goodies, and fairly low mileage. Needless to say, I fell in love all over again. The bike actually came with a matching trailer, and we have already made a trip to family's home in Northern Fla, approx 9 hrs each way. The bike did great. Our rear ends tolerated the journey without issue, and neither of us can hardly wait to plan our next adventure. I would, however, like to pose a question to anyone who might have a suggestion.....I have found that after extended periods of time, I am getting a pain in my right shoulder-blade area. It has never been so bothersome that it would cause me not to ride, but rather more of an annoyance. If anyone has any suggestions, I would very much appreciate any help offered.

Until later......Keep riding, have fun, and be safe!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing and welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Glad you made the jump to a Wing. As far as the pain in your shoulder, you might want to experiment with adjusting the handlebars up or down and see if that makes a difference. Also, take advantage of the cruise control on the highway so you can move that right arm around. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome aboard Rob. Congrats on getting the Wing, and yes, you will notice some changes but you'll get seasoned quite quickly. Most of our little kinks (butt burn, shoulder pinches etc) are results from not moving around often enough on our 'couch'. I sometimes get a mild burn in the right shoulder-blade area, but it's usually from having my right hand glued to the bar; if I use the cruise and stretch my arem/wrist a bit, it disappears. some GL model seats are worse for butt burn than others (1200's I found especially testing) but the 1500 and 1800 models areok for the average rider. Most tller riders find them too confined and they opt for aftermarket or custom perches. I don't have any issues with mine, but I haven't done any major runs with the '09 yet, just jaunts of 3-4 hours at a time. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF robthom1964

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome to the forum robthom. I have a 91 1500, am 62 and 6 feet tall. I have never experienced a shoulder problem after any amount of extended riding. Sore butt and sometime neck stiffness but not shoulder (that'll be next :(). My bars were adjusted by the previous rider who was 6'4 but they fit me real well.
Good luck and ride safe,
Strat

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hello to all...

I've been riding motorcycles for a year now. From the very beginning, my then girlfriend (now fiancee), had always urged me to purchase a Goldwing. But the practical side of me thought it best to start small. I began with a 250 rebel and very quickly caught the motorcycle fever. Within 3 months I had sold the rebel, and purchased a VT1100 shadow. That was somewhat of a jump, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. We were able to take short trips together, but because of the limited comfort, especially for the passenger, our double riding was generally limited to only 30 to 45 minutes at a time. All the while, she was still incessant on purchasing a Goldwing. Well, on June 12, 2010, I finally listened and purchased a '93 GL1500se loaded with all of the goodies, and fairly low mileage. Needless to say, I fell in love all over again. The bike actually came with a matching trailer, and we have already made a trip to family's home in Northern Fla, approx 9 hrs each way. The bike did great. Our rear ends tolerated the journey without issue, and neither of us can hardly wait to plan our next adventure. I would, however, like to pose a question to anyone who might have a suggestion.....I have found that after extended periods of time, I am getting a pain in my right shoulder-blade area. It has never been so bothersome that it would cause me not to ride, but rather more of an annoyance. If anyone has any suggestions, I would very much appreciate any help offered.

Until later......Keep riding, have fun, and be safe!!!
Strange, huh? I got a GZ250 first, traded for a V-Star1100, then got the Wing about 3 months ago. We seem to be on the same track. When we are a little older, just think, we will have to get on the Trike....

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
welcome,
just a little ways east of you.
you will enjoy this site. good info, great people.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Sore shoulder

Welcome Rob, this is a great site filled with nice folks and good solid commentary. I have to say, you are the luckiest guy on earth with your choice of women and motorcycles. She pressured you into a wing. Obviously she loves to ride and wants to be comfortable etc. She is a jewel, sell the trailer and buy her a ring!

Sore shoulder..... after all she has done perhaps you can cajole her into a shoulder rub while riding:) ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks....and yes....I too think I'm very lucky. But somehow or another, she knew exactly where it hurts because she always gives me shoulder rubs without even being asked. Yet another reason to not let her go.......Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you're probably right. A trike is in both our futures, only problem is I'll probably have to begin to share the driving. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I've adjusted the bars up and down, and oddly enough, lower seems better, but then again, I haven't taken any extended trips yet, so we'll see. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Your'e right, I am terribly lucky to have such a wonderful riding partner, but she got the ring a month before the wing, and she won't let me sell the trailer!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome RobThom1964

Welcome to our forum, you're probably not going to find a more knowledgeable bunch of guys when it comes to GoldWings. Sounds like you might ought to use your speed control a little more and try to rest your right arm a bit while riding.
Enjoy your rides with the missus, and keep it between the grass. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts