Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I purchased my first GW, a 1985 LTD. I returned to riding in 2008 when I got a Suzuki Burgman 650 and earlier this year purchased a Burgman 400. I've done some pretty long trips on these Maxi Scooters such as Big Bend National Park and Colorado from Texas. This summer we trailered the Burgman 400 out to Colorado and a later trip to San Diego and Sedona. Debbie says she's very uncomfortable riding on the scooter and is all stoved up after doing some day rides. So, I figured a GW is probably the ultimate of comfort for a passenger and bought my first GW.

My first experience with the bike was very intimidating as I couldn't flat foot the bike at stops because of the after market Corbin seat. Later I learned that I was riding the GW like a scooter and trying to flat foot with both feet when I should be covering the rear brake and leaning the bike over onto the left leg. When I did that the bike was easy to flat foot on one foot. The weight of the bike compared to the 400 pounds of my scooter was at first a little daunting. I realized that this is the biggest bike I've ever ridden and it was just a matter of getting into the saddle and learning how to ride this larger machine. The bike felt marvelous in the twisties and open road but stop and go traffic in town was a bit challenging. After about a week of riding it and burning up a few tanks of gas I'm feeling much more comfortable riding in town, even in the Christmas traffic.

I purchased the 85 LTD off Craigs List in Lake Jackson, Tx and drove down a few weeks ago and trailered it back to East Texas. I had seen another GW previously in my search to purchase one and it was in very poor condition. Seems like when I'd interview folks on the phone about their bikes condition that everyone bragged about how their bike was in excellent condition until I started asking more questions and discovered they really had some issues that concerned me. My seller said that the bike had no scratches and was in top condition only to find a torn seat and a few anomalies that I decided I could live with. The bike's all original, paint is in decent shape (pin striping not so good). Seems like lots of folks selling their GW's said their bikes were sitting in their garage for many years as they stopped riding their bikes and decided to sell. so this bike, despite the fact that it's fuel injected is still a little rough at idle. I've run a few cans of Sea Foam through the gas which has helped allot and I'll do the fuel filter next. Everything else on the bike works such as cruise contriol, on board air suspension and trip computer. Bike's never been dropped and looks good for a 1985. I'm probably going to replace the timing belt next year, get new tires even though there's lot's of tread (tires 6 years old) and may change out the exhaust to stainless steel. I'm presently getting 38+ mpg.

Compared to the scooter I love the grunt of the 1200 engine compared to my single cylinder 400cc scooter. I've had the bike up to 100 and it was straight and smooth and easily cruised at 85 mph. I've got a trip planned to Portland, Oregon and Vancouver next year and might trailer the GW out to the NW. Debbie says at this stage that she doesn't want to tour all the way to the NW on the bike as she's a bit of a fair weather camper as she may not do well with riding in rain and cold.

As soon as I figure out how to post a pic I will.

Dan Bowman

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Welcome to the site.......

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Seattle.

I am a maxi scooter owner as well. There are others represented on this site.

I was just down in Texas on my Wing. I got home yesterday. I rode along the border.... Mission, Lorado, Del Rio, then up to Alpine and Ft. Davis.

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the Davis Mtns., McDonald Observatory, Big Bend ride in June when it was 111+. I thought it was super hot until we had daily temps here in Texas this summer close to that all summer long. I experienced the beauty of an evaporative cooling vest on that trip. I'll go back and look at your trip log. Thanks all for the warm welcome.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Dan: I liked your intro. Well written and gave the story of yourself and your bike. So welcome to the forum from Down Under. I am looking forward to your photo of your bike. I have a 84 1200 with carbies which I give a good work out here Down Under. Eric

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Classic Wing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great to have you and your LTD on the forum. If I'm not mistaken the 1200`s had carbs, doesnt change the fact they were one of the best touring bikes ever made. Hope you have many safe miles on her.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
The LTD is fuel injected but mine is carbs. I get big differences in my MPG on mine. Through the hills and around town 38 mpg US. Open road 2 up 85 mph about 30 mpg US. Eric

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Enjoy the site.

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all again and Merry Christmas to all.

Eric, 30 mpg/2-up....ouch. :eek:

I was really hoping to get more that 38 and presently given my pokey/little granny riding style due to first time riding a big bike, I doubt that I'll top that unless I'm riding solo on the super slab. I'll check it like that too some time. Perhaps my initial disappointment was in comparing to my Burgman 400 at 55-60 mpg. And then I looked down at the engine on the GW and I said "dang, that looks like a small car engine down there". So I compared to my wife's Honda Civic at 37 mpg and thought, not so bad. Funny how perspective changes everything. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Welcome aboard Dan. The mileage on a tank of gas is truly a thing of wonderment. On a decent day ride I find myself filling up twice. 400+/- miles seems like a short journey on a Wing compared to a car ride of the same distance.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
hello danb of texas, welcome to GWOF

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Is there a bylaw in Texas that reads "get a Goldwing and join GWOF" or something?
Haha, welcome to the forums our new Texas friend!:D

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Is there a bylaw in Texas that reads "get a Goldwing and join GWOF" or something?
Haha, welcome to the forums our new Texas friend!:D
I tried to warn you a while back, that we were getting a Powerful lot of them Texas Feller on here.:D:D

Welcome to the herd:rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I tried to warn you a while back, that we were getting a Powerful lot of them Texas Feller on here.:D:D

Welcome to the herd:rolleyes:
I rode through Texas the other day and I have to note that it is a big state. There is lots of roads that go everywhere.

When on the road from Ft. Davis towards Van Horn, TX.... I had the feeling that I was right in the middle of nowhere, with no shoulder on the road and no fences to keep in the cattle. For 30 miles, I never met another car or motorcycle and the road ended on an intersection that had only one stop sign, no cars, no motorcycles and no noise. I was alone in the center of Texas with nothing but mountains in the distance. My riding buddy was on the north end of the state and we were heading to meet up...... but there was 500 miles between us.

If any of you Texas guys ever get up to the Northwest, you might need a guide. I would do that.

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Larry, in October Deb and trailered the B400 out to San Diego which is 1400
miles from here. The first day we drove to El Paso which is 800 miles from home.

When we rode through the Davis Mtns., fires were burning as hot spots kept flaring up. Smoke wafted throughout our ride and lots of deer and antelope were on the move as we had to dodge lots of critters. I think though that the vultures were the worst as they'd wait to the last second before coming off road kill, frequently turning into you. Perhaps my hardest breaking was for vultures.

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the purchase of a 1200.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome DanB from Ontario Canada..enjoy your new to you ride, as you have discovered..big different from your last ride..BTW..don't wait to change out the timing belts! UNLESS you know in fact they are recent. It's the cheapest insurance & peace of mind you can get.:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts