Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been lurking here for 2 years learning about the Goldwing and I finally signed on the dotted line today.

2012 GL1800 ABS / GPS, in red. In Canada, only 2 models and 2 colors are offered. ABS/GPS in red, ABS/GPS/Airbag in blue.

My bike comes equipped with CB radio, which according to Honda Canada's website is about $1000, but the dealer insisted that it's included in the 2012 model at no extra charge. (Well, we still pay $3000 more than US riders do for the same bike). I pick it up on Monday or Tuesday. I like the large storage compartment that would hold the airbag in the airbag model.

The GPS has a zoom in / out / speak controller on the left grip, I'm wondering if it will also be disabled while the bike is moving.

I'm not much for chrome, so I'm pleased to see the 2012 model has all the chrome parts blacked out.

What functional accessories / farkles are must have's for this bike? Your suggestions are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Since you've been lurking you no doubt have heard us all say.

Driver's Backrest
Highway Pegs

They're the big 2.

I'm much like you those Chrome gizmos don't do a thing for me so my add ons were always for performance or comfort. Others for me were:

Xtall windshield
Iso Grips
Superbrace
Belly pan
H-4 Headlights
Electrical wiring, connections for Heated Clothing
Passenger Armrests
Passenger Transformer Boards

I'm sure the other guys will chime in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going on a 5000 km trip the day after I pick up the bike, so I'm going to see if the seat is good or if I need a Russell Day Long, which has been on every bike I've owned in the last 10 years. A backrest is essential, and if I get a Day Long Saddle, I'll get them to include their removable backrest.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look into that.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Hello and welcome.
I have a lot of chrome on my current ride, but like you, I'm not crazy about it.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new Wing. Looks like the other folks have the farkles covered. Ride safe and enjoy the forum...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome mingo. I'd say the Russell would be an improvement, but not $1k worth immediately so I'd wait it out for a time. On top of Fossil's list I'd opt for the lighted trunk spoiler, LED fog lights, and a passenger audio controller (J&M, NOT the Honda one) if you're planning on lots of two-up. If your dealer threw in the CB then that's very fair of him because it is an expensive option and there are no programs on the 2012's from Honda.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas. In addition to the items mentioned, a luggage rack comes in handy for packing extra gear and a cup holder is nice as well.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome from Alcona..beside Lake Simcoe just a stones throw from Barrie!:D Enjoy that long "break-in" ride; Stay safe!!:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts