Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Goldwing GL pearl white and dressed up
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,
I can't seem to get my GL 1800 up on the center stand. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes. There are videos and descriptions but at the end of the day, it will requires some experimentation and practice on your part.

First, do not try to lift the bike on to the stand unless you are a professionally ranked weight lifter.

Second, do not think that the little pad on the side of the stand will lever the bike up on the stand unless you weigh as much as a car.

The goal is to use martial art techniques, i.e., use your opponents weight against them. You want to control the momentum by holding the left grip with left hand and the passenger grip with your right hand. Helps with your confidence to have a friend on the other side to keep it from falling that way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I looked at a couple of vids, and I see how. I think

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
Grab like described by Darkside, lock your right arm, step up on the pad of the side stand and stand up. I believe that a couple videos helped me dial in on the technique.

Reactions: 823Jim

·
Registered
297 Posts
Until I became practiced enough to do it the right way, I used a 1” thick block of wood. Roll the back wheel on it. Makes it a lot easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, I looked at a couple of vids, and I see how. I think
Don't know if you saw these, but here's few of the better videos that show how to get bike up on center stand - main thing is to get the bike standing straight up on the stand feet.

Reactions: DesertRat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, you guys are fantastic! Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Be sure when you have the bike balanced on the center stand and attempting to pull it back the front wheel is straightahead. If not the front tire will drag and it’s almost impossible to get it up on the stand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
And when taking the bike down off the stand, be sure the wheel is pointed either dead straight ahead or aimed slightly to the RIGHT, away from you. If it's aimed a little to the left, the bike will steer toward you and want to fall away from you to the other side. Don't ask me how I know :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Everybody,
I can't seem to get my GL 1800 up on the center stand. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?
Definitely not a stupid question! I struggled getting it up on the center seeing myself a few months ago as previously I had an ST 1100 that was only 650 lb. The best way is to step on the center stand with your right foot and swing your whole body weight to the rear of the bike. The key is to keep your body as close to the bike as possible while doing this . Let me know how you make out

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Everybody,
If you can't park on a totally level surface, be sure to always park facing the up-hill direction. Even the slightest down-hill condition makes getting the bike up a monumental task.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Hi, TallyMike. I just had a few knee surgeries this past year and I was having difficulty getting my 2002 up on the center stand, and two members of my riding group told me about the EZ-Lift. It's consists of two parts, a clamp that attaches to your center stand arm, and a shaft with a pedal that slides into the clamp. This gives you a lot more leverage and makes it a breeze to stand the bike up. The pedal/shaft stores neatly in your left saddlebag under the toolkit strap. A little pricy at $129, but worth it.
www.philsfarkels.com/gl-1800

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Be sure when you have the bike balanced on the center stand and attempting to pull it back the front wheel is straightahead. If not the front tire will drag and it’s almost impossible to get it up on the stand.
This is really the key. Step on the foot plate for your center stand and make sure both of it's feet are touching the ground and the weight is centered. Any amount you are off center will exponentially magnify the effort need to get the bike up on the center stand.

Reactions: Nelsress

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a heck of a hard time getting my 2005 wing up on the center stand the first time I tried. I found it much easier after I took it out of first gear, true story!
Lmao....go to you tube. And it will show few tricks, practice it and its easier and easier ...

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
I had a heck of a hard time getting my 2005 wing up on the center stand the first time I tried. I found it much easier after I took it out of first gear, true story!
If you got it up on the center stand while it was in gear, remind me to never get you upset with me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts