Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just got my first wing. I have been riding most of my life and currently mostly ride dual sport's.

I just picked up this 79 yesterday, very clean but has been sitting for about 6 months.

I was hoping that someone could tell me what fairing this has, looks nothing like the other 79's I have seen.

Also what luggage it has too.

Is there anything I should look for before heading out on my first trip?

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum

I can't tell for sure, it could be a Windjammer fairing.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello seth,welcome to GWOF. looks like a bates fairing to me

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
The luggage looks like Samsonite ;). As you can probably tell, I'm not the tech fellow here. Welcome! Where will your first trip be to ? It's winter here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The luggage looks like Samsonite ;). As you can probably tell, I'm not the tech fellow here. Welcome! Where will your first trip be to ? It's winter here.
Well, I need to fill out my user info but I am in Western WA. I plan on riding to Eastern Montana sometime this summer as my younger brother just moved there last week.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Where in Western Wa. are you ???? Wee locate just south of the border near Sumas.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Congratulations on a great bike.
All of the 4cly goldwings as far as I know were a bit weak in the stator. The 3 yellow wires on the battery side can burn out. If it is not already done, hard wire them. If it is the same as my 84 wing there will be a 30 amp fuse next to the battery. Replace that with a car 30 amp fuse. (It was the first thing to give me a problem.)
The next problem will be trying to wear it out. (Just about impossiable if you do your maintances) Eric

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Howdy from Minnesota! Welcome to the GWOF!

Interesting find! 6 months of sitting is not a problem. My '85 sat for at least 5 years before I bought it! Of course, I had to rebuild the carbs. Drain the fuel tank and the carb bowls and start it with fresh fuel with 1oz/gal of SeaFoam or whatever you like in it and the carbs should be clean as a whistle in about 100-200 miles of highway speed riding.

Not sure which fairing you have there; kinda looks like my '83's Windjammer but not sure.

Know when the valves were adjusted last?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Howdy from Minnesota! Welcome to the GWOF!

Interesting find! 6 months of sitting is not a problem. My '85 sat for at least 5 years before I bought it! Of course, I had to rebuild the carbs. Drain the fuel tank and the carb bowls and start it with fresh fuel with 1oz/gal of SeaFoam or whatever you like in it and the carbs should be clean as a whistle in about 100-200 miles of highway speed riding.

Not sure which fairing you have there; kinda looks like my '83's Windjammer but not sure.

Know when the valves were adjusted last?
I have no maintenance history, It was a trade in at a dealer where I bought it. I was thinking that I will change the belts and do the valves at the same time. I only paid $800 for it so I am not afraid to put a little into it.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the site. Enjoy your Wing.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone State.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Nice find Seth and welcome from the Piney Woods of East Texas. Got to ride the Nirthern Cascades last summer. You've got a beautiful state for riding. Your smiles will broaden with the Wing.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome, you're in the midst of quite a few members where you are located. If that fairing isn't a Bates, it could be a Pacifica; is there an audible indicator for the turn signals? If yes, it's a Pacifica for sure. Cases could be Samsonite, but Hondaline also marketed some similar ones in the early 80's.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Well, I need to fill out my user info but I am in Western WA. I plan on riding to Eastern Montana sometime this summer as my younger brother just moved there last week.
There might be some of us heading that way also. Maybe we could get a group ride together.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts