Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group, recently added a 98 SE for the Mrs. comfort. Kept the
V* 1100 Silverado. The GW has less than 15 hundred miles on it.
Can I trust 12 year old rubber??

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
bristol. Good morning. I escaped from New Jersey in 1966. Spent my young years in Summers Point at Egg Harbor. Most here would agree that 6 years is the max you would want to keep a tire on the rim. Would you trust a 12 year old Trojan ?

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
bristol for sure like the Maestro just said you'll want to change the tires. The rubber loses it's plyability after that long. I'm still trying to figure out how a Wing of that age has only 1500 miles on it!:eek: Anyway welcome to the site.

Would you trust a 12 year old Trojan ?
I'd rather watch a race on TV than have to worry about that.:D

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Bristol, sounds like you just picked up a nice ride. Replace those tires first chance you get, is this your first wing?

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the keystone state. Congrats on your new Wing. Wow, 1,500 miles on a 98 SE. Must have spent a lot of time in the garage. I would replace the tires as soon as possible and have all the fluids checked or replaced as well. Not good for a bike to sit that long. Enjoy the site and ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and elcome to GWOF bristol3261

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jersey shore

Yes Matt, first GW. Dirt bikes in the 60's and 70's. Went sailing for 35 years. Picked up a V* 1100 Silverado 2 years ago. Found the GW after the Mrs. said she wanted to join me and the V* was too uncomfortable. Setup the V* for solo ride. Takes a little getting used to the wieght.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Bristol3261. Wow, 1500 miles! I'd also run some fuel conditioner through it. Also, check the sight glasses on the handlebar reservoirs, and if the fluid is dark, better change that too. Coolant flush wouldn't be a bad idea either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts