Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to Goldwing owners!

I'm brand new to the Goldwing Owners site and in fact I'm brand new to the world of Goldwing motorcycles.

A friend just gave me a Goldwing Interstate that he purchased new in 1984. Bill put 60,000 (mostly highway miles) on this bike when it suddenly developed an engine miss that felt as if the bike was running on 3 cylinders. Bill made an attempt to fix the problem by rebuilding the carbs thinking that this was the problem. He discovered that this did not fix the carbs and ultimately lost interest in the bike and did not proceed further with trying to fix the bike. As a result he threw a tarp over it and it has been sitting for the last four years. I'm going to trailer it home next Tuesday and begin a long winter of work on this bike.

I know I will need to completely clean the fuel system and again rebuild the carbs since it has been sitting so long and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to pull the spark plugs and pour in a tablespoon or two of Sea Foam or Marvel's Mystery oil into each plug hole and then crank the engine over a few times and allow it to work all winter long.

Also, can anyone give me some pointers on how to search out the orginal engine miss problem? Or, should I just clean the fuel system, rebuild the carbs and then next spring fire it up and then check for a bad plug or plug wire should I find that the miss still exists?

Bill also mentioned that he really babied this bike during the first 60,000 miles of its life and basically rode it like an old lady. Could it be that the bike just needs to be taken out on the highway and have the cobs kicked out of it?

Harkgold

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello harkgold, welcome to GWOF

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the GWOF from Seattle.

There should be some people stopping by with some quality answers for you shortly. Congrats on your first Wing. I hope it works out the best for you.

If you post in your profile where you are from, we would be able to see that.

If you are interested in a Goldwing Owners Group in your area, send me a PM as I have a directory of the finest.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
Congrats on your new 2u Wing and welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from NC.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Welcome And I would suggest putting a little penetrating oil in your heads,also new timing belts as they are pretty old . Also check the tires for dryrot,there are a lot more things you will need to check but you should be able to find them here on the forum. Good Luck. Hal

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome And I would suggest putting a little penetrating oil in your heads,also new timing belts as they are pretty old . Also check the tires for dryrot,there are a lot more things you will need to check but you should be able to find them here on the forum. Good Luck. Hal
Thanks BUDDTWO for the welcome and tips! Does Seafoam or Marvels Mystery oil qualify as a penetrating oil?
Bill said the tires were near new when the bike went out of commission four years ago and if the bike and tires have not been exposed to any direct sunlight I'm hoping the rubber might still be in pretty good shape. If in any doubt I will be replacing them.
Will I find that the tires on my bike are tubeless?

I think I did see somewhere on this sight a checklist of things to check out when going through a Goldwing.

Hal

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcomes! I'm looking forward to getting to know many folks and learning a lot about the Goldwing world through this terrific site.

Hal

Harkgold

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Thanks BUDDTWO for the welcome and tips! Does Seafoam or Marvels Mystery oil qualify as a penetrating oil?
Bill said the tires were near new when the bike went out of commission four years ago and if the bike and tires have not been exposed to any direct sunlight I'm hoping the rubber might still be in pretty good shape. If in any doubt I will be replacing them.
Will I find that the tires on my bike are tubeless?

I think I did see somewhere on this sight a checklist of things to check out when going through a Goldwing.

Hal
Tires reach their life expectancy around 8 years. You can find the date of manufacture code on the tire. Sun light would increase the aging factor, but no sunlight does not extend their life. The rubber hardens from atmosphere exposure. Certainly a visually inspected tire that do not show any cracks or bulges would permit someone to work and test ride on them, but they should be replaced after 8 years. It is not a rule of thumb but a rule for the protection of your hide.

Tires on a Goldwing are almost at their weight limit without much luggage or a passenger. Two people and a pack of condoms and you are over the posted weight limit. That is of course depends on the weight of the folks. :) I have been told that my bike thinks I am riding 2 up all the time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcomes! I'm looking forward to getting to know many folks and learning a lot about the Goldwing world through this terrific site.

Hal

Harkgold
Hi Hal--Welcome to the site from just up the highway in Ames. :)

Bryan

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome and yes there are many things to check over. Over and above what's been mentioned, fork seals, rad hoses, fuel lines brake fittings and pads...the list is long. Take you time and be thorough and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hello Hal I thought I was the only Hal Nice to talk to you. I have a 84 & 85 aspy and a 96 aspy and love all three of them. As far as using seafoam in the heads it would get the varnish out but not any rust holding the piston to the wall. I believe in seafoam it is good !!! stuff and works wonders in your gas tank and carbs. A couple of other things to check rear end fluid, bleed clutch and breakes . Also ask your friend if the splines have been lubed with molly . Good Luck Hal (buddtwo)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also ask your friend if the splines have been lubed with molly . Good Luck Hal (buddtwo)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips Buddtwo.
At the risk of sounding stupid.......what do you mean by splines?

Hal

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Firstly a big welcome from Down Under. A long shot, If it was raining and the water got in around the plugs, there is a drain hole between the plugs. I had mine running on 3 cylinders in the rain. Eric

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hal the splines are at both ends of your drive shaft and the shaft coming out of the back of the engine. Also there are geared teeth inside your rear hub .They should all be greased up with molly 60. Dont use just any old type of grease as it will just be flung off and wont hold up. You can get it at honda dealer or on line a little will go a long way. Hal

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hal the splines are at both ends of your drive shaft and the shaft coming out of the back of the engine. Also there are geared teeth inside your rear hub .They should all be greased up with molly 60. Dont use just any old type of grease as it will just be flung off and wont hold up. You can get it at honda dealer or on line a little will go a long way. Hal
Thanks for the info BUDDTWO!

We got the bike home yesterday. Included was a Clymer manual. I have been reading up on the splines and grease.
The odometer on the bike reads 54,000 miles. I'm wondering if the steering head and swing arm bearings are going to need any attention yet. The owner said probably 80% of these miles are highway miles. Is there a way to test the integrity of these issues without necessarily disassembling the bike to find out?

Hal

1 - 20 of 33 Posts