21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since price is an issue, owning an older Wing, which you can afford, can be great.
I have a 2002 which I put 40K on since I bought it used.

Can you do your own work? If the answer is yes, then the older bikes are well known.

The over heating issue is caused by a defective computer, just change it when you change the air filter. Unfortunately, due to some misinformation on the Internet, quite a few people did not respond to the recall, which has long since expired, so now you need to buy your own instead of accepting the free one from Honda!

My dealer checked my frame twice, no charge, I would just ask the owner if I could take the bike to the dealer and have him check it before purchase.

The forks will probably need a rebuild and brake pads too. Just be sure to check the rotors. The aftermarket does offer front rotors. Rear rotors as well as wheels and finals can be found for reasonable prices from the trike builders.

If you need body panels, the trike builders might have side bags and there are plenty of windshield options, but fairings are very pricy so don't buy that Wing that collided with a deer!

If the alternator fails the bike will run on the battery until the battery is completely discharged. Then you will be stranded! Honda should have included a voltmeter or something to warn you. However it is easy to add a voltmeter, I have one that plugs into my accessory outlet and it includes 2 USB ports.

At 82K my ADG failed. I haven't fixed it yet, but some bikes never have this issue and a ADG failure does not leave you stranded. It's just a lot of labor to tear everything apart, but you get to grease the driveshaft's splines, check and replace the radiator hoses and thermostat. Basically you wind up with a very reliable, almost new in my opinion, bike, so it really isn't such a bad thing.

In closing, I really don't get all the junk people hang on their bikes. I stripped off cup holders, highway pegs, luggage rack, back rest, winglets, wheel balancers, and some other stuff. My bike is a lot lighter, faster, better handling, and much more enjoyable to ride. I use my phone for GPS, seldom turn on the radio, and just enjoy the ride. When freshly cleaned and waxed not only do I get complements, but some believe it's a new bike, plus I can have a lot of fun with the thousands of dollars I saved by not buying new!

Here's hoping you enjoy the ride as well!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts