Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase my first Goldwing. I want to spend as little as possible to get an 1800. A previous Goldwing owner said that I need to go beyond 2001 because he said there was a modification made to the ergonomics of the driver seat that was significant.
Is that so and what year was it done?
Are there other significant changes after 2001, besides audio, that I should consider?

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I have a 2010 model and that was the last year before they changed the look and the place it was built. That and a few years earlier should be a lot less than the new models. Others will be along with their input.

Reactions: Dannydreamer

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You have set cost as an independent variable. Given that, I would say that any differences throughout the years of the GL1800 are irrelevant. Take it for a ride and judge condition. Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Dannydreamer

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Some years have frame recalls and the brake recall should be done. I am not sure about the seat changes. Good luck with your search. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Reactions: Uknow

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There have been plenty of pre 2018 models on the market as folks upgrade to the newest version of 1800. Have fun shopping.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personally I would go with 2006 and up. Quite a few things better on these models. 2001 thru 2005 had the frame recall breakage issues. Overheating issues also. The ADG issues on the 2001 through 2005 also. The 2006 and up has the higher output alternator. Fixed the over heating also. There’s probably others I’m forgetting. My opinion only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally I would go with 2006 and up. Quite a few things better on these models. 2001 thru 2005 had the frame recall breakage issues. Overheating issues also. The ADG issues on the 2001 through 2005 also. The 2006 and up has the higher output alternator. Fixed the over heating also. There’s probably others I’m forgetting. My opinion only.

BB1, only your opinion is what I was hoping for. Thanks. Danny

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BB1, only your opinion is what I was hoping for. Thanks. Danny
Hi BB 1,
Two questions about the alternator and radiator issues. Were they recalls? And if not, are these issues of primary concern for 2 up riding? I will primarily be riding one up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The alternator was increased because of the added features on the Goldwing. Such as heated seats and grips. The over heating issues mostly happened in real slow riding such as parade mode or when climbing up mountain roads. No recalls issued on these as far as I recall. The broken frames had recalls.

·
Registered
147 Posts
IMHO, don't sweat the recalls. If they haven't been accomplished yet, Honda will still fix. Go to a dealer with VIN to check status. Do not rely on internet databases.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
I've never heard anything about the seat on the 2001. As far as recalls, you can take the VIN into any Honda shop and have them run it. I have a 2004 and have climbed slow mountain roads and yes, the gauge goes up, but it didn't get so hot it would hurt anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts

BB1, What’s the “ADG” issues?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just find one that sings to you and buy it, every motorcycle has some issues. If you read this forum you will have the impression the 18 and up have more issues than any other gen, they don't. I ride an 03 and so far 0 problems and yes the recalls were done. Everybody has an opinion and you are the only person you have to please. Any wing of any year and you will be happy.👍

Reactions: Uknow

·
Registered
518 Posts
P.S. Make sure you get the fastest color!!!😉

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm about to purchase my first Goldwing. I want to spend as little as possible to get an 1800. A previous Goldwing owner said that I need to go beyond 2001 because he said there was a modification made to the ergonomics of the driver seat that was significant.
Are there other significant changes after 2001, besides audio, that I should consider?
I have a 2001. The recalls are up to date and not an issue. I’ve ridden in conditions that have caused the temp to rise many times. But like any vehicle that is put through such torture, select a different gear and take it easy and you won’t over heat it. I had the suspension reworked by Traxxion. My only regret was not doing it sooner!!! While they had it apart they replaced the bearing and it eliminated the notorious wobble that eats up the front tire. Stereo sucks, but I ride with a helmet and installed headphones.
Seat comfort, no issues. Many rides straight through from Chicago to Summit County, Colorado...Chicago to Portland to San Fran back to Chicago in 11 days, no issues. Though for long distance rides I did install a back rest.
Don’t use aftermarket brake pads, Honda’s are excellent. Except for adjusting the valves, I do all the other maintenance myself, it’s pretty easy.

Nothing is perfect. Find one in a good price range in a color you enjoy. And ride the hell out of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an 03, 1800..and i love it

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am in my second year of owning a 2004 that I puchased with 39k mi. on it. Purchased it through a dealer an have all service records for it. In that
2 years, I am going on 8000 miles added to it with no problems. It is not uncommon to see similar age GL's with over 120k miles on them, for sale on cycle trader or FB. The low mileage gems seldom last very long.
I would spend some time looking in your price range, and convert that to a year range. Then find the lowest mileage in that year range. If you can find one at a dealer or the owner has had it serviced at the dealer and has the records, that would be a big plus. Aftermarket stuff is a money hole and Imo shouldn't play a large role in price.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The 2006 and up not only have the ADG upgrade, no frame problems, bigger radiators, etc. They also have an improved audio system.
If you do want to go with pre-2006, make sure all the recalls have been done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts