Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud owner of a Honda VTX 1800 and just love this bike, but sadly, this is no touring bike....4.8 gallon tank, 155 mile per tank range, unacceptable for touring.... I am seriously considering buying an 08 Goldwing, but can't find the mpg's on any site. How far (highway miles) can you go on a tank of gas? Thanks Goldwingers....can't wait to play with that reverse gear!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2 weeks ago I got home from a 4,263mi trip in and around Colorado on my new '08 wing. Averaged 38.5mpg for the trip. Best was 45.6mpg in the mountains putting around looking at the scenery. Worst tank was 34.6 interstate driving, keeping up with traffic, 85-90
If you plan on allot of touring there's not a better bike to have than a Goldwing. I've taken lots of trips on my Guzzi's and was happy about the lack of fatigue at the end of the day. If you make the change I’m sure you will be as happy as I am with a wing.
Miles per tank was about 230

·
Registered
21 Posts
hummm.....6.6 gallon tank, 40 mpg (avg) = 264 miles/tank :)
- better then 18 mpg in the diesel 1 ton van! and tons more fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
you all get better milage than I do. I have an 88 and I the best I get is around 35mpg :(
get ur foot ( i mean hand ) out of it! ;), tune up maybe? smaller engines work harder (use more fuel) in comperable situations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for your gas mileage info. Can't wait to be out in the California and Nevada desert, not worried about where the next gas station is. Men...play with that reverse gear for me!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
i average 44mpg on my '93 1500se

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought an '02 1800 with 6500 mi. Rode it from Oakland are to Portland, Oregon coast, Vancouver B.C. to Seattle across to Pendleton, to Salt Lake City then Albuquerque, N.M. Gas mileage varied from 40 to 45 with 100 to 200 mi. fill ups. Overall for 3000 mi. was 42 mpg. Much of it was high speed freeway driving, 70 to 95 mph. Mileage goes down to 40 mpg at 95 (steady). In town in Albuquerque I have 42 mpg.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just picked up an '08 Goldwing last weekend (with the 0.99% interest and all the money they kept taking off the price I had to do it). We had some crappy weather in Texas this week so today was the first time I got it out for a decent ride. I was a little worried when I looked at the gas gauge and I was down to 3/4 of a tank with just 40 miles on the odometer. At the end of the run I had gone 90 miles and I've got a little over half a tank.

I guess it's possible the dealer stiffed me on a gallon of gas since I have to admit I didn't look at the gas gauge on the way home from the dealer, but if not I'm not showing great MPG. I know with other motorcycles I've had the mileage might not be as good during breakin, but I've never seen it this low. Has anyone else noticed less than optimal mileage during their first few miles?

Otherwise I do have to say that I had a lot of fun out there today. I'm looking forward to a few road trips this year. It seemed like the second half of the trip used less gas, so maybe the dealer did fill it up a gallon short. I guess I'll have to see how the next tank of gas does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
it should get better with each tank. I started with getting 30 mpg, and steadily climbed
to 40 mpg by the 4th fill up... also keep air pressures to spec, i checked air and had to add after i got my bike...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mileage

Hey guys, thanks for your gas mileage info. Can't wait to be out in the California and Nevada desert, not worried about where the next gas station is. Men...play with that reverse gear for me!!!!
I also get about 41 MPG average (6.0 Gal * 41 = 250). I'd be careful about running your fuel injectors empty--requires an expensive trip to the shop. :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
it should get better with each tank. I started with getting 30 mpg, and steadily climbed
to 40 mpg by the 4th fill up... also keep air pressures to spec, i checked air and had to add after i got my bike...
Excellent, thanks for the info. It's good to know that this initial mileage is not uncommon. I was thinking about the tires also, so I do have to check them before the next ride (not that one shouldn't check them before every ride). ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
1800 and 1500 wings have plenty of low end power try shifting betewwn 1800 and 2200 rpm when you are not in a hurry and stay in 5th gear as much as possable to increase fuel milage. keep those 1200 wings between 2200 and 2500 and in the biggest gear it will handle at those rpm to improve milage

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah, OK. I've probably been sticking to around the 2500 rpm range. Just filled up this weekend after amix of local riding and some highway travel and it came out to about 34 or 35. I usually hit 5th when I'm going over 55 for any particular distance and usually go to 4th at 40.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Been getting about 42 (as indicated on stock speedo & tires) on the last 3-4 fillups. Bike has about 2800 miles on it. ('08 GW1800).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts