Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me say that I've been a Harley's rider for over 30 yrs and own a 05 FLHTCUI. I'm considering a new 2008 Goldwing AL series and have test ridin' three identical units from three different dealers and have been thoroughly impressed.

I have one concern, all three units seem to have the same whine at low to medium speeds. All three dealers have stated this is normal but were unable to agree on what causes the actual whine. Is this normal for the Goldwing and if so any issues with performance or warranty from either Honda and/or the dealers ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, issues that I"m aware of. I think that whine is simply the gears spinning. You hear that if the engine is quiet enough, which is the case with the Wing, and several other bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the info.... not used to a quiet bike. I would like to add larger grips, driver floor boards, heel/toe shifter, brake pedals & highway pegs. More natural for me considering my previous bike(s). Any recommendations for quality accessories... Honda or after market ???

·
Super Moderator
15,254 Posts
gl 1800s have a chain drive for the cams all others use a belt and i bleave that is the whine you are hearing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Appreciate the info.... not used to a quiet bike. I would like to add larger grips, driver floor boards, heel/toe shifter, brake pedals & highway pegs. More natural for me considering my previous bike(s). Any recommendations for quality accessories... Honda or after market ???
if you are thinking of floor boards and a heel toe shifter I have removed the ones from my 2003. I have the bill for them and they were $409 US dollars, very nice stuff. Give me PM message if you are interested. I have decided to go back to pegs as my legs are short and the boards require a wider stance when your feet are down and it makes me feel a little less secure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now I know why Harley riders love V-twins, I just test drove a Vision, two things that I noticed was the great balance and the incredible sound and feel of that engine. It's about the same wieght as my GL1200. I'll be test riding an 08 wing, be interesting comparision

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wasn't impressed with the Vision's looks or storage capacity, but that's why there's so many different models out there.

I'm in the final negotiating stages for my Goldwing. So far the dealer has been great in regards to pricing, PDI and any after market purchases and installation. Honda Canada has reduced the MSRP for the 2008 Goldwing and a reduced interest rate if needed. The only downfall is the extended warranty in Canada. The extended warranty from Honda Canada is a whopping $ 1,784.00 Cdn with two options for independant mechanical breakdown insurance coverage that range from $ 1,300.00 to $ 2,000.00.

I tried to barter on the extended warranty with a pair of genuine Saskatchewan Seal Skin Bindings. But the owner already has a pair for his snow shoes.

Maybe I'll try some beaver pelts ....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wasn't impressed with the Vision's looks or storage capacity, but that's why there's so many different models out there.

I'm in the final negotiating stages for my Goldwing. So far the dealer has been great in regards to pricing, PDI and any after market purchases and installation. Honda Canada has reduced the MSRP for the 2008 Goldwing and a reduced interest rate if needed. The only downfall is the extended warranty in Canada. The extended warranty from Honda Canada is a whopping $ 1,784.00 Cdn with two options for independant mechanical breakdown insurance coverage that range from $ 1,300.00 to $ 2,000.00.

I tried to barter on the extended warranty with a pair of genuine Saskatchewan Seal Skin Bindings. But the owner already has a pair for his snow shoes.

Maybe I'll try some beaver pelts ....
Not sure just what pricing you have been able to come up with. I know Regier Honda in Swift Current Saskatchewan has a Silver 08 with a tag on it reading 27K and and Dark Blue 07 with a tag on it suggesting 24K. I just know these guys are looking to get anything near cost specially' on that 07' which will very soon be two models years old and still collecting interest on investment. I have no idea how many 'points' are in motorcycles. Cars run 6 to 9 but bikes? no idea

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer priced the 08 Goldwing @ $ 26,500.00 excluding taxes, accessories, extended warranty & beaver pelts. The wing has the comfort pkg, nav & abs in any one of the three colors of my choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I paid $20,300 out the door for my pear white Premium Audio 2008 Goldwing, I dont have nav. but I do have a tom tom that hooks write up.I bought mine in San Antonio Tx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whinning

I have a2007 wing and I noticed the noise you are talking about. It is most noticeable in 2nd gear at about 2000rpm. The dealer I talked to said it had to do with the way the gears were cut,and it causes no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before my 'Wing I owned an ST1300. Loved it. It did everything that I wanted it to do. I was talking to someone who owns a 'Wing, He said that once you've driven a 'Wing it spoils you for everything else you've driven. I was curious about what he said so I tried one. I now own a 'Wing. Believe me this bike performs. If you like handling, agility and balance you can't get any better in a touring machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up my new 08 Goldwing last Saturday. I previously had a ST1300 and loved it. I wanted something a little more comfortable. I believe I got a pretty good deal on it. They only had 3 2008 models left and I got one with premium sound for $17,500.00

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just drove out

I just drove out with my first Goldwing from Lawrenceville (Georgia) Honda. 2008 Pearl white Premium sound, nav, comfort package and ABS. $20,800.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
I paid 23K and change for my 2008 Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS in Albuquerque, NM. I've owned a 1983 Yamaha Venture, an 86 Suzuki Calvalcade, and a 99 Yamaha Venture. The Wing is by far the best touring bike I have ever owned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mel

Let me say that I've been a Harley's rider for over 30 yrs and own a 05 FLHTCUI. I'm considering a new 2008 Goldwing AL series and have test ridin' three identical units from three different dealers and have been thoroughly impressed.

I have one concern, all three units seem to have the same whine at low to medium speeds. All three dealers have stated this is normal but were unable to agree on what causes the actual whine. Is this normal for the Goldwing and if so any issues with performance or warranty from either Honda and/or the dealers ???
the sound you get used to

·
Registered
7 Posts
alot of money

The dealer priced the 08 Goldwing @ $ 26,500.00 excluding taxes, accessories, extended warranty & beaver pelts. The wing has the comfort pkg, nav & abs in any one of the three colors of my choice.
just picked my 08 nav ,cb, sound and head set out the door 21,500 no abs brakes

·
Registered
6 Posts
low speed whine on Wing

REPLY .... I think you might find that the 'whine' you speak of may be coming from the alternator. Mine is a 03' model and it has it. I thought I had heard that Honda had done something to address the issue on later models.
I love the Wing's carving skills, I still ride an ST1100 and a Yamaha Seca Turbo and occasionally my wife's' 1100 Virago and I find the 'wing' is no slouch. It has the power to weight ratio equivalent to that of a Z06 Corvette. It only takes a gentle touch to leave most everything else disappearing in your mirrors, wheezing and wondering what happened:~)
As for the whine you may soon not even notice, it sounds a little like that of a 6-71 blower on small block Chevy, I like it actually but that is just the old gear head in me.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Savoy - Number one Canada and US pricing is all together different. When I bought my 08 with abs last year I could have bought the same bike in the States for 8 to 10 thousand dollars cheaper. Even when our dollar was at par they did not lower the prices. They were following the lead of the car companieis by keeping the prices the same even though they got them a lot cheaper.

I noticed the whine when I first drove the bike and also asked about it but they said not to worry about it but I always do because I think some of the fellows on this forum know more then the dealers.

As far as warranty goes, part of my deal was having it extended to five years. It was a promotion that Honda had on at the time.

Good luck with your negotiations.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts