Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing. I would keep my eye on the road to begin with..... LOL... There are a few guys on here with earlier model Wings that can give you excellent advice on what to watch for so learn from them. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Keep an eye on your paper work, either something is wrong or you have a typo in your post, the 1982 Gold Wing is an 1100 not a 1000 cc bike. The big thing is just keep the oil changed on a regular basis, keep the brake & clutch fluids clean and put a volt meter on the bike so when the stator starts to go bad you can catch it. The 1100 Gold Wings was known for sticky slides in the carbs. Don't let the bike sit for any long periods of time and run carb cleaner through it on a regular basis if the gas you use doesn't have a good additive in it already.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing. I would keep my eye on the road to begin with..... LOL... There are a few guys on here with earlier model Wings that can give you excellent advice on what to watch for so learn from them. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..
Welcome to the real bike pages and as TWW said, grow a new pair of eyeballs.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF dvjoiner

·
Registered
1 Posts
1984 basket case

I am looking at an ad for an 84 Wing where the engine is now disassembled and the seller does not know its status. The rest of the bike is also stripped from the frame. It could be a fun project, but how could I evaluate its' condition and cost to rebuild or replace the engine?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Greetings from the Sunshine State dvjoiner.I bought a 85 GW and did not know the history ,so I changed all fluids, spark plugs and air filter for a piece of mind. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just did the belts on my 85. Was not looking forward to it at all. But now that I did it the job was not hard at all. The hard part was removing the bling that is in the way. Even that wasn't the end of the world. Pay attention to what bolts go where and it will be an easy job. Once I got all the stuff out of the way it only took about 15 minutes to remove the old belts, turn the crank to the proper position align the cam pulleys and install new belts. Crank it by hand a bunch of times to make sure the cam pulleys and the timing mark line up. It it doesn't take them off and do it again. Put mine back together and she fired right up.

A simple procedure but can create a massive headache if you don't do it right. Save the beer drinking till after you hear it running.

p.s. The cam pulleys will never align up dead on. They need to be no more than a belt tooth from being right on the money. The right side pulley (left if you looking at it from the front) will want to move on you, just take your time and tinker with it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome from Canada DV. My '82 had over 80,000 miles on it and ran like a top. As Joe says, it is an 1100 and she burned a bit of oil but not to worry. Proper maintenance is key. Unlike JeffM, I wouldn't even attempt to do the belts...I'd screw it up. I have a good mechanic and put my trust in him.
Ride safe,
Strat
p.s. mine was maroon, quite a looker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome from Canada DV. My '82 had over 80,000 miles on it and ran like a top. As Joe says, it is an 1100 and she burned a bit of oil but not to worry. Proper maintenance is key. Unlike JeffM, I wouldn't even attempt to do the belts...I'd screw it up. I have a good mechanic and put my trust in him.
Ride safe,
Strat
p.s. mine was maroon, quite a looker.
I felt the same way. Really the belts were not hard, the hard part was just getting everything out of the way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am looking at an ad for an 84 Wing where the engine is now disassembled and the seller does not know its status. The rest of the bike is also stripped from the frame. It could be a fun project, but how could I evaluate its' condition and cost to rebuild or replace the engine?
If the price is around $200-300, get it. Look at the cross hatch pattern on cylinder walls, if still there, the block is ok. Crankshaft bearings (the 2 half circle plates where the piston arm goes) should have some wear but not too much. I had bad compression on one of the cylinders when I bought mine and instead of fixing it I found a replacement engine with 24K for $110.

Those that recommend NOT replacing the timing belts WILL NOT help or donate cash for repairs when they bust. NAPA has them cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Leaks

I too got my first wing and it is a 82 1100 interstate keep an eye out on the shocks mine started leaking oil I put new seals in them but now they wont hold air for a long period of time I have to add air every 4 to 6 weeks.my biggest issue how has been the orings on the water pump it can leak coolant,oil or a combination of both from a weap hole or as honda puts it a (tale tell hole) at the bottom of the motor just behind the water pump.if you see this take it serious.

Willy

·
Registered
129 Posts
My '78 has no air , thank God, but I did have an issue with oil after popping in new seals, and just on the right side. I thought one of the plungers (long tubes) was bent but it was just worn out at a particular spot, just inside the receiving housing.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to you both dvjoiner and SoCalGuy. Astor123, even though a major alcoholic, knows the 4 cyl Wings inside out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Who was the one that said '78 were slow? Just did 105 @ 8K rpm. Was that a bigger cam and a longer duration or the old lady was just restless?

Screw that, my helmet was bobbing all over the place and I lost my lower dentures God damn it.

All of you, get rid of these antiques and get real machines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.