Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone, I am about to come back from Iraq after a year and the wife and I are buying a new goldwing with everything cept airbag. My question is what are some of the first common improvments or additions do you suggest for the bike. We rented a goldwing in Vegas last year before I deployed and fell in love with it. Im still keeping my Honda Superhawk though!! Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
First, let me say "thank you" for your service to our country and for keeping us safe. Next, welcome to the forum. When I bought my 09 Wing in May I had the dealer install LED driving/fog lights, a rear spoiler with LED brake light, a Kryakyn trunk rack and a 12V outlet. I also purchased and installed a set of Kryakyn ISO pegs and because I plan to keep the bike for a while the additional 4 year extended warranty.

Those were the things that were important to me. I still have to purchase and install Baker Wings and then I think I'm through for a while. You may find that there are some things that make more sence for you and your wife. Whatever you buy, shop around for best prices. You can find some great deals out there especially on the warranty.

Stay safe and ride safe when you get home.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF pitt3265 and " thanks for your service to our country". i got my 1200 wing two years ago and added a driver backrest and when i got my 1500 wing it had to have one. lights and chrome lookg good but the backrest added comfort and an aftermarket seat was a big + too

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Welcome Home ...

Greetings everyone, I am about to come back from Iraq after a year and the wife and I are buying a new goldwing with everything cept airbag. My question is what are some of the first common improvments or additions do you suggest for the bike. We rented a goldwing in Vegas last year before I deployed and fell in love with it. Im still keeping my Honda Superhawk though!! Thanks for your input.
... HOWDY ... PITT ... THERE ARE TONS OF AFTERMARKET GOODIES FOR THE WINGS ... ONE THING I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE QUALITY OF CHROMING ON PARTS VARIES FROM GOOD TO POOR ... IF YOU CAN ... DO A HANDS ON LOOK AT THE PARTS ... WHAT LOOKS GOOD TODAY MAYBE DULL AND STARTING TO RUST 6mos. DOWN THE ROAD ... MY FELLOW "VETERAN"- WELCOME HOME AND THANK YOU ... HAPPY TRAILS ...
... P.S. ... TAKE YOU'RE WIFE ALONG WHEN LOOKING AT GOODIES ... AND THAT WILL MAKE HER PART OF THE MACHINE ... REMEMBER - - " HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE " ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Pitt.. From a Vietnam vet and father of a Naval Aviator, I say welcome home and thanks for your service. As far as your question on accessories, I guess it depends on what you have in mind as far as touring initially. Regardless, I'd say one of the first items would be foot pegs and the Kuryakyn Iso pegs are about as good as it gets. Secondly, the drivers backrest makes a world of difference on trips of any length at all. Also, if your wife plans on any long trips soon, I'd definitely get the passenger armrests for her. As stated earlier, if she's happy, your happy. There are lots of sites online, but I found that Mototourinc.com had about the best prices with free shipping over $100 and no tax depending on your state. So, happy hunting!

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Pitt, I too would like to say Welcome Home. If not for the men & women of our fine Armed Forces we would be up the creek without a paddle.

I have to agree with Avidrider, I am not much for Chrome, extra fancy lights or flashy paint. For me & the little lady it is all about comfort.
My personal favaorites are Kuryakyn Iso highway pegs, Iso grips, Arm rests (for her) Custom seat (Ours is a Hartco-Love it), Superbrace, progressive suspension & Xtall windshield.

Other websites for products are: goldwingcountry.com
chromeworld.com
My favorite is wingstuff.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
other stuff

WHat are ISO pegs? And whats the deal with a belly pan I read about? Also, how many 12v plugs does the gl1800 have and is it difficult to ad more?

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Pitt,

Here are some links to some of the products:

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det...o=/pgroup_list/gl1800/18_Kuryakyn/mfg/?page=5

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det...o=/pgroup_list/gl1800/18_Kuryakyn/mfg/?page=6

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det...=/pgroup_list/gl1800/18_Kuryakyn/mfg/?page=10

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det...31_goldwing_Fork_Braces_Seal_Kits/des/?page=2

I did forget about the bellypan when I posted previously. I have one on my 1500 & IT WORKS. I can tell you that anyone I talked to who had a fork brace & bellypan said the bike would be different and I can attest as well that it is cheap dollars for a superior handling bike.
The idea of the fork brace is to eliminate fork flex under load. The idea of the bellypan is to prevent buffeting from crosswinds & especially work well when being passed & following tractor/trailers.

If you look around on Wingstuffs website you can find lots of items.

Have Fun

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pitt,
I have an 09 and don't see the necessity for the fork brace and bellypan on the newer bike. I have not experienced any buffeting from crosswinds as yet and I live in Texas where it can get pretty windy. You might wait and see how yours acts before investing in these and determine if your uncomfortable or not. Iso pegs are just a name that Kuryakin has for this particular product. It's just a style that works well on the wing. Also, stock, the wing comes with "zero" 12v plugs. That's one thing that comes standard on the Harley and should on the wing but you have to add it. I haven't added one as yet but talked with the dealer and it mounts pretty easy in the left side pocket. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Pitt: Just my .02 worth about the pegs and accessory plug. The Iso system can also use footboards instead of pegs (I prefer the boards for my clods) and the 12v accessry plug is innexpensive and can be insatalled by yourself in your own shop/garage. All you need is a 30mm holesaw and a screwdriver. The harness is tricky to plug in due to space confines but patience is a virtue. The only bummer is the plug resides inside the fairing pocket rather than outside where it would be more handy. Wings still have a couple things they aught to have as std equip!:confused:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The two most important thing's for me was for comfort and that is highway pegs and a back rest, after that a CB radio is a must because I usually ride with other bikes. After that a rear sapoiler with a brake light than what ever chrome goodies you think makes it look good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Pitt, if the little lady is riding, I would suggest J&M's passenger audio control. That way you can have the music at each rider comfort level, she has a mute button so she can sing without the mic picking it up, and her own PTT button for the CB....if you opt for a CB, of course. Like Ronzilla says, happy wife - happy life ! Safe riding, man !

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The J&M volume control for the passenger will only let them listen to the volume LOWER than yours. The only way to have their's louder than yours is to have two J&M controllers, one for you and one for her and turn the volume all the way up and adjust down from there.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Pitt
Welcome and thanks for your service.
Just ride it a while. The only addition might be someone behind you to keep you company. The rest you will figure out. It will depend on your wants and needs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts