Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the story- my wife and I were looking in a little antique shop in aVery small town in rural Nevada when we spotted a motorcycle parked way in the back of the store in an area not used for the shops display area. I started asking the shops owner about the bike. It turned out to be a 1981 Honda GoldWing ( 1100 cc . "Interstate" is the model, I believe). Anyway, long story short, he also owned a motel there, and a few years prior, a husband and wife had gotten into a domestic dispute. Husband ended up leaving the bike there. Eventually, this motel owner offered him $1,000 for it. He bought it. Has a clear title. Told me he'd sell it for $500.00

He says he hasnt ridden it in 3 yrs., but did ride it a bit. It was parked outdoors for some of that time. Looking at it, it appears in pretty good shape. Newer tires, no leaks on the inside cement floor where its been parked. This gentleman told me that he just doesnt have time to ride anymore and that it probably would need a new battery and maybe the carb/s would need cleaning since its set so long. has 37,000 miles which I believe to be orig. mileage.
Is this a good deal for $500? I havent had the chance to look in the tank for rust, etc., or really go over it closely, but, it sounded like a deal to me, and I told him I'd be back the following weekend to buy it.

Id appreciate some feedback please. Ive always wanted a GoldWing.
:)

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... 101 ... I WOULD SAY "YES" AND AS YOU KNOW IT ILL COST SOME BUCKS TO GET IT UP AND RUNNING ... ALSO I DON'T SEE WHERE YOU WOULD HAVE ANY PROBLEM GETTING THE $500. BACK OUT IF YOU DECIDED NOT TO FINISH THE PROJECT BIKE ... THAT DESERT CLIMATE IT HAS BEEN STORED IN IS A BIG PLUS ... JUST BECAUSE TIRES LOOK GOOD THEY HAVE A SHELF LIFE 6yrs. FOR SAFE OPERATION ... OTHERS WILL PIPE IN TOO ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Battle Mountain ...

Well, having trouble uploading a better pic on here.
... HOWDY ... SAW YOU'RE HOME TOWN ... BATTLE MT. NEVADA ... I ROLLED THRU THERE IN 2001 ON MY WAY TO SALT LAKE ... IT WAS A GREAT RIDE AND BUGS ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ronzilla. BM is where I live, but my Home town is Minneapolis, MN. Looking forward to getting the GoldWing on the road and finding my own bugs! I actually havent picked her up yet ( next weekend). Then its gonna take some work to get it running right, I'm sure. I'm glad I found this forum as I sure I'll be getting lots of help if I need it here.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
I say go for it. For the $500 investment you could reap a great reward. Parts for the bike are available, either OEM or aftermarket, so that should not be a problem. Most fluids should be checked, oil changed, tires as was previously mentioned, and gas tank checked for rust. Carbs will probably need to be cleaned also. Seems like a lot of work, but is really just maint items that you can do yourself. Go get the Wing and have a great time restoring her. Ride safe and enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts